CMSimple is now released under GPL 3

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
wosee

Re: CMSimple is now released under GPL 3

Post by wosee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Well, if you think that this is the best idea...
I don't care, but I think about those people who start with CMSimple. They will see at Peter's Website that there is no future development and some of them might stop their research.

Imho you should not make you decision up to trivial thinks like a 6 euro per year domain or the Google ranking.

Tata

Post by Tata » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 pm

I see the future like this:
Those falling in love with CMSimple mostly remain at CMSimple installations and maybe will also work on its improvement. They very probably also will do their best to keep this CMS alive (advertising it on their own pages, linking to sources, bulding new webpages etc.). And those who moved to CMSimple-XH will do the same (I personally have no problem with keeping the link to CMSimple-XH.de).
But to be realistic - IMHO CMSimple reached its top in version 3.3 and its developemenet in last two or three versions brought basically nothing new. CMSimple-XH started entirely new approach in terms of extension of features. modularity, comfortability, security etc.
And maybe someone of CMSimple fans will make a deal with Peter and will take care of it.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

wosee

Post by wosee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Yeah... this is going to happen.
But why should the CMSimple community (and sice CMSimple is released under the GPL, there IS the real CMSimple community) split up to groups? It's like after Alexander the Great's death, when the huge empire split up into parts because Alexander's followers were not able to find an agreement.

Well... to me there is no reason why the XH developers should not carry on the development of CMSimple itself with the name CMSimple... But... too bad I don't have anything to say. :P

Gert

Post by Gert » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm

OK, wosee, do you know the abbreviation "OPM"? Its "Other People's Money" :mrgreen:

Some guys says: Save cmsimple-xh.com/.org/.net/.info/... trallala. You say, we should try to buy Peters domains. Nobody says: I buy all domains and copyrights from Peter, with all contents, and provide them to the community. Do it, and then we can continue that discuss :twisted:
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

wosee

Post by wosee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 pm

The only thing is that you have to tell Peter that you are going to carry on the development of CMSimple. I think he will be thankful.

And if it's all about the money... I'll pay the xh domain if you change the name.

I think it would be a good idea to talk to Peter. However, if you don't want to talk to him, I'm fine with it.

leenm

Post by leenm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:26 pm

wosee wrote:Yeah... this is going to happen.
But why should the CMSimple community (and sice CMSimple is released under the GPL, there IS the real CMSimple community) split up to groups? It's like after Alexander the Great's death, when the huge empire split up into parts because Alexander's followers were not able to find an agreement.

Well... to me there is no reason why the XH developers should not carry on the development of CMSimple itself with the name CMSimple... But... too bad I don't have anything to say. :P
I have to admit, imho wosee has got a very good point. I don't want to start the naming discussion all over again, as I said before, but this is something we can't get around without a good reason. I don't say there isn't one, but I'm not sure if I know it and if that reason convinced me.
Gert wrote:Some guys says: Save cmsimple-xh.com/.org/.net/.info/... trallala. You say, we should try to buy Peters domains. Nobody says: I buy all domains and copyrights from Peter, with all contents, and provide them to the community.
This is always a problem with free software. Who's paying for it. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. But can't we ask Peter for the domain(s)? He isn't going to do anything with it (I think). Does he want money for it? I'm willing to take over a domain, if that's the problem.

I hope I don't upset anyone of the CMSimple_XH team by keeping this discussion alive (as CMSimple_XH developer). If I do, I apologize.

Leen

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 pm

I think woose is right - from his point of view.

I don't like the two support sections here at the board and I had often stomachache by thinking about the confusion with the different versions.

But,
when we decided to start with some kind of fork, we must choose a different name for the baby.
There was no other way. We took intentionally a name near to the original.
If it was a good or a bad choice may be a question of the taste.

I don't believe that Peter want to give a url to us. Why should he do this?
CMSimple 3.3 is his final version. And it's his baby.
Anyway, it's hard to discuss that when Peter isn't talking with us here at the board.
wosee wrote:The only thing is that you have to tell Peter that you are going to carry on the development of CMSimple. I think he will be thankful.
I don't think so. Not after all that bad discussions before he closed down the old support forum.
But that's only my personal view - maybe I'm wrong. Feel free to ask Peter about his point of view. Maybe he's happy to carry over his domains to you or anybody else.
wosee wrote:But why should the CMSimple community (and sice CMSimple is released under the GPL, there IS the real CMSimple community) split up to groups?
I can't follow your mind.
Why is there a REAL community just SINCE CMSimple is released under the GPL?
As far as I remember this board is giving free support for the / a community a long time before 01.01.2010.
And why should the community split up to groups?
The support areas are separated for the moment - just to make things easier. This board is the only chance to get user support at the moment and, for "free" users, since a long time.
And from the beginning every users question was welcome. There was now difference between "free" and "licensed" users or CMSimple- or CMSimple_SE users.
The only problem was the boring question "which version are you using?".

I can't believe that the two letters "XH" should be such a problem.

Anyway, I'll be happy to be an Admin at http://www.cmsimple.org/forum or http://forums.cmsimple.org.
So woosee, it's your turn ;) .

Holger

[Edit]
wosee wrote:I don't care, but I think about those people who start with CMSimple. They will see at Peter's Website that there is no future development and some of them might stop their research.
This problem should be solved when Peter links to cmsimple_xh.de/english from his website. Maybe this is ok for him :?:
[/Edit]

wosee

Post by wosee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Yeah, so why do YOU care about those two letters? :p

After all... we should ask Peter what he wants to do with his (awesome) baby. ;) To me his opinion is still very important. However, I am not going to hate you ;) if you do not agree. It's only a suggestion. That is what I think would be the best for CMSimple(XH).

The "real community" thing: When CMSimple was released under AGPL the mandatory copyleft made it to this "one man show". But now it is GPL, 100 percent open source. So now it is the community's project. ;) But that drifts to some kind of a religious question. :)

And the community could split, as leenm said, if someone decides to develop CMSimple (not XH). And even if noone wants to, why should CMSimple should be released under a new name, namely CMSimpleXH?

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 am

wosee wrote:Yeah, so why do YOU care about those two letters? :p
Seems you're not understanding my position.
WE can't say that CMSimple_XH is the "official" successor. So WE can't say this is the new CMSimple.
wosee wrote:And the community could split, as leenm said, if someone decides to develop CMSimple (not XH).
That's how things are working on Open Source projects.
But I don't think that there will be a future development named "CMSimple".

So let's see how things develop in the near future...

Holger

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:55 am

Holger wrote:WE can't say that CMSimple_XH is the "official" successor. So WE can't say this is the new CMSimple.
That's the point.

Who wants to develop CMSimple 3.4 or 4.0 have to buy the domains and copyrights from Peter. I don't believe, that Peter is ready to give them for free as an gift to anyone.

I was very, very surprised, as Peter decided to give CMSimple freedom. If I were Peter, I had sold CMSimple, if I dont want to develop it further. I am sure, he had found a purchaser.

That's why I'm very respectful and thankful for Peters decision.
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services