Upgrading to PHP 5.4 (5.5) and HTML5

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
Hugorm

Upgrading to PHP 5.4 (5.5) and HTML5

Post by Hugorm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello

Does anyone have a program, suggestions or ideas on how to upgrade from PHP 5.3 tol 5.4 (5.5)?
Any validation programs?
(a lot of plugin 'sorting' is needed)

In the same line of programming tasks there is the question of preparation for HTML5.

I've tried to scan the internet and found some programs, but as far as I can tell they stop at PHP 5.3.

Kind regards
Hugo

Ps. Does anyone have a routine for converting from UTF-8 to iso-8859-1?

cmb

Re: Upgrading to PHP 5.4 (5.5) and HTML5

Post by cmb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Hugo,
Hugorm wrote:Does anyone have a program, suggestions or ideas on how to upgrade from PHP 5.3 tol 5.4 (5.5)?
I guess you're referring to necessary changes to CMSimple resp. plugins and perhaps templates, and not about the update of PHP itself.

Incompatible changes are listed under http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5 ... atible.php and http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5 ... atible.php. From what I read there, I assume, there won't be any automatic checker possible (several of the changes are hard to detect, e.g. the "Case insensitivity no longer locale specific").

However, CMSimple_XH 1.1.6, 1.4.4 and 1.5.6, CMSimple 4.x and CMSimple 3.4[1] are compatible with PHP 5.4 (at least there were no imcompatibilities reported so far). I don't now about the state of CMSimpleClassic. And I'm not able to test with PHP 5.5 (see http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5572).

Regarding the plugins it might be a good idea to mark the (in)compatibility with certain PHP versions in the Wiki. Perhaps somebody finds time to make the necessary changes to keep them working under new versions. Probably there are some, which don't even work with PHP 5.3.

To find specific problems during testing, switching on error_reporting is very helpful. For CMSimple_XH/CMSimple 4.x one could easily activate the debug mode.
Hugorm wrote:In the same line of programming tasks there is the question of preparation for HTML5.
I assume that all plugins work with the HTML5 doctype. However some invalid HTML5 will probably be reported, even if the plugins produce valid HTML 4.01 resp. XHTML 1.0 (both transitional). These errors should be reported to the authors of the plugins.
Hugorm wrote:Does anyone have a routine for converting from UTF-8 to iso-8859-1?
I wouldn't recommend switching back to ISO-8859-1, as UTF-8 is mandatory for some formats (e.g. google sitemaps) and has become the de-facto standard for the web since quite a while (e.g. it's the "default" "charset" for HTML5). Otherwise the conversion can be done with any decent text editor; and Utf8migrator_XH might be modified to do the inverse conversion.

[1] oEdit has to be fixed, though, see http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5190

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Hugorm

Post by Hugorm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello

I'm talking about making CMSimple and it's plugins working under PHP 5.4 and HTML 5.
The reasons is a lot of time spent to find "" in a plugin as PHP was changed from 5.3 to 5.4.

If the migration is as difficult as Christoph writes it is absolutly essential that a checklist or program related to CMSimple and plugins are available - otherwise everyone has to debug and waste time.

If the community could help it would spare a lot og time for 'endusers' or 'dummies'.

Any recommendation is of course very welcome - but in this case I must recommend otherwise! (single language, limited number of visitors, low security etc.).
Funny though that CMSimple 3.4 (iso) is working for me under PHP5.4.

I'm still looking for a debugging - validating- helping - program/process to migrate CMSimple 3.4 and old/new plugins to PHP 5.4.

Kind regards
Hugo

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Hugo,
Hugorm wrote:Any recommendation is of course very welcome - but in this case I must recommend otherwise! (single language, limited number of visitors, low security etc.).
Funny though that CMSimple 3.4 (iso) is working for me under PHP5.4.
I was not recommeding to use CMSimple_XH/4.x instead of CMSimple 3.4. I was recommending to stick with UTF-8, what should work with CMSimple 3.4 also (IIRC some of the language files for CMSimple 3.4 are delivered with UTF-8 encoding).

And you might consider to use CMSimple Classic. This version is still under development, and a bug was fixed, were CMSimple scripting is evaluated in edit mode.
Hugorm wrote:If the community could help it would spare a lot og time for 'endusers' or 'dummies'.
ACK. AISB: cmsimplewiki.com might be the right place to report imcompatibilites and to provide fixed versions. I want to encourage all users and developers to add such information there. If the information is added in the wiki text (opposed as a comment in the discussion section), I will be noticed, as I have subscribed to the wiki's RSS feed, and may have a look at the issues.

Christoph

Hugorm

Post by Hugorm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Hello Christoph
ACK. AISB: cmsimplewiki.com might be the right place to report imcompatibilites and to provide fixed versions. I want to encourage all users and developers to add such information there. If the information is added in the wiki text (opposed as a comment in the discussion section), I will be noticed, as I have subscribed to the wiki's RSS feed, and may have a look at the issues.
Is it something like what I've put into wiki ...Svarres gallery?
Or where should I put it?
(I'm writing in the wiki because many designers are long gone)

Kind regards
Hugo

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Hugo,

of course it's okay to put it in the discussion section as you have done. Unfortunately these entries will not be recorded in the RSS feed. So it might be better, if you modify the pages directly (after being logged in, you can click "Edit this page" on the left hand side of the top of the page).

I'll have a look at the gallery page (at least the link to cmsimple.dk/forum is obviously broken; the archived forum is now available on http://forum.cmsimple-xh.dk/; see http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 501#p32501).

Christoph

PS: The issue was reported already in http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5536 :|
Last edited by cmb on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS

Hugorm

Post by Hugorm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Hello

Better way and place?
(in the wiki, just before disquess)

Kind regards
Hugo

Ps. Already reported (this one) strengthens the need of a migration checking method.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Hugo,
Hugorm wrote:Better way and place?
(in the wiki, just before disquess)
IMO yes. I've uploaded a modified version and added a download link.
Hugorm wrote:Already reported (this one) strengthens the need of a migration checking method.
Unfortunately there is probably none. The best one could do is to enable debug mode resp. error_reporting and fix or report the errors (particularly the "Deprecated notices", which are "time bombs"; a lot of older plugins will fail, when ereg() & Co. will be removed sometimes from PHP).

Christoph