Rename Settings -> CMS

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
cmb

Rename Settings -> CMS

Post by cmb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Hello Community,

Hartmut made me aware of a naming inconsistency between the menu item Settings -> CMS and the title on this page "Configuration" (directly under Settings the link is called "Edit configuration"). The term "CMS" is a relict of XH 1.5 where there has been another configuration named "Website".

I suggest we change the respective language string:

Code: Select all

$tx['editmenu']['configuration']="Configuration";
I'm not sure, if we should do this for XH 1.6.5, though, because when updating the string will not be changed, what might result in confusion (manual, support requests). Anyway, I've put it on the 1.6.5 roadmap.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Re: Rename Settings -> CMS

Post by svasti » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 pm

I find "configuration" a rather long word. CMS was so nicely short.
Therefore I'd rather not change it now.

The other problem is updating of language strings. Somehow we should find a way that changed language strings could make their way into existing installations.
A plugin update.php (yeah, here we go again) could compare language strings (e.g. with an online copy on cmsimple-xh.org) to find out which have been changed by the webmaster. These string should be left intact and the rest should be updated.
Well, there should be a means to update language strings without overwriting the changed ones.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

svasti wrote:I find "configuration" a rather long word. CMS was so nicely short.
It's just that I would prefer some more consistency of the menu and the settings page. We have to consider to get the internationalization of the latter right, anyway, because the present hard-coded solution (predicate object) doesn't work for some languages, for instance German ("Editieren Konfiguration" :roll:). See the discussion in http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6076. As this item had been voted with 1:0:0, I only improved the search function in this regard (r615), but it still seems reasonable to further improve that in the long run.
svasti wrote:Therefore I'd rather not change it now.
It's probably best to wait for XH 1.7 or 2.0.
svasti wrote:Well, there should be a means to update language strings without overwriting the changed ones.
Even that might be debatable. Not having changed a language string does not necessarily mean that the user wants to have it changed when updating. I still prefer to differentiate between updates (where no change to the language strings should be required) and upgrades (which at most happen yearly; probably less frequent).

svasti

Post by svasti » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:25 pm

cmb wrote:Not having changed a language string does not necessarily mean that the user wants to have it changed when updating.
What about a dialog after updating/upgrading. The update-plugin would compare the new language strings to the ones of the present installation. The plugin would output a list of suggested changes with checkboxes "don't change this one" and at the end a button "change+update to new language strings".

This would mean that updating goes on like before plus an extra file with new language strings. The webmaster would check the update-plugin whenever he like and see if he wants to update his language files. So the update-plugin would at first only be concerned with language strings.

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:19 pm

svasti wrote:What about a dialog after updating/upgrading. The update-plugin would compare the new language strings to the ones of the present installation. The plugin would output a list of suggested changes with checkboxes "don't change this one" and at the end a button "change+update to new language strings".
I'm not against making the updates/upgrades more user friendly, but I (currently) do not have the time to work on this. Sorry.