1.7 Update wizard?

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

1.7 Update wizard?

Post by svasti » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:58 am

Idea for discussion:

Update wizard
What does it do?
When the update check tells you that a new version is available, you start the update wizard :D . The wizard shuts down XH :ugeek: and runs on its own system :mrgreen: . Then it downloads the zip of the new version. This zip contains an update instruction for the wizard. With this update instruction no special update zip is needed, one zip is OK for updates and new installations.
The update instruction contains:
  1. The minimum version to start the update from
  2. The new files/folders tp be updated (New from 1.6.0: ..., from 1.6.1: .... from 1.6.2)
  3. The files/folders to be deleted (Delete from 1.6.0: ... from 1.6.1: ....)
  4. The files not to be changed in an update (log files .... etc.)
  5. The files to be adjusted (language files, config files)
The wizard checks, if minimum version and the necessary permissions are there. If not, it terminates and the update has to be done manually as before.
If permissions are there, the wizard makes a backup of the system (without userfiles + content) and executes (1) till (4) automatically. For (5) a comparision is presented of old values versus new values wherever the values differ, together with a button "keep old value" for every such field.
Everything done the wizard starts the new XH. If XH doesn't work, there should be a possibility to start the wizart even with XH being unable to start (e.g. mysite.xx/updatewizard) to reinstall the backup :( .

cmb

Re: 1.7 Update wizard?

Post by cmb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:00 am

I would love to have that, but I still think it should not be implemented on the server, but rather on the client. We simply have not enough control over the server -- consider timeouts, and other limitations (e.g. is the Zip extension commonly available?). And consider the security implications: all files that eventually needed to be updated would have to be writable for the PHP user.

I still consider my suggestion to have an installer reasonable -- I may have missed to explicitly mention that this installer should also handle updates. Back then I had a Tcl/Tk based classical GUI in mind -- nowadays I would prefer a typical PHP app. PHP's built-in webserver would make the basics easy -- the "rest" seems to still require considerable work.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

manu

Post by manu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:44 am

My ISP runs http://installatron.com/ on his Server. oneclick-install/-update/-backup is done in seconds or automatically, even for db-driven solutions. Why reinvent the wheel?
To be listed there would be a big boost for our CMS.

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm

manu wrote:My ISP runs http://installatron.com/ on his Server. oneclick-install/-update/-backup is done in seconds or automatically, even for db-driven solutions. Why reinvent the wheel?
To be listed there would be a big boost for our CMS.
I'm not sure how that works. On http://installatron.com/developer/apps there is a description how to make an installation package, but it seems to me that we would have to contact Installatron LLC and ask if they are interested to offer CMSimple_XH. I don't know about plugins, but it seems they won't distribute commercial ones.

Do you have further insights?

svasti

Post by svasti » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

cmb wrote:I still consider my suggestion to have an installer reasonable
funny to read the old thread. Funny arguments. Sometimes one is better off without the cooperation of certain people.
As updating many websites becomes a tedious task, even when knowing how to do it, I'd really love to have it automated. And the updater should also be able to handle plugins as well.

manu

Post by manu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 pm

cmb wrote:Do you have further insights?
No, but the featured solutions play in the same league as we do.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:18 pm

manu wrote:
cmb wrote:Do you have further insights?
No, but the featured solutions play in the same league as we do.
Um, don't know -- never heard of WordPress, Drupal or Joomla! before. ;)

svasti

Post by svasti » Thu May 07, 2015 2:20 pm

I am afraid we won't have an update wizard soon.
So I'd suggest something simpler:

Updating as before with installing on top.
Aditionally to the default.php language files language specific default.php's are added, e.g. default_de.php etc.

Now the system should look first for the language specific default_xx.php, if that doesn't exist for the general default.php and then for the language file xx.php.

Additionally there would be a new point under Settings: Update Language, or Integrate Update.
After clicking this point, the differences between the language file and the default language file would be displayed. The user would be offered to import values from the default language file (i.e. newly introduced values) and delete stuff which isn't used any more. Could also be done with config and default config, to eliminate e.g. $cf['meta']['publisher'].
The code could be something like a modified Translator_XH.
After usage XH could take notice and even stop always looking for default.php.

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu May 07, 2015 7:41 pm