better System-Info

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
svasti

better System-Info

Post by svasti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:40 pm

I propose a change in the system-info:

now, if I call system info in my domain, I get:

[symbol for bad] save_mode off

This is irritating, because save_mode is precisely ON. So in cases, where the value is problematic, the wording should be corresponding:

[symbol for bad] save_mode ON

Just for verbal consistency. This would add a few language var, I guess.

cmb

Re: better System-Info

Post by cmb » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:06 pm

svasti wrote:[symbol for bad] save_mode ON
That might be confusing as well. Finally, it all comes down to what the text designates: either the current state or the desired state. Maybe it's sufficient to document that better. Then again, double negatives are harder to grasp.

Anyhow, please put it on the roadmap.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Post by svasti » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:34 pm

cmb wrote:Finally, it all comes down to what the text designates: either the current state or the desired state.

Oh, it's only now I understand that the text is supposed to state the desired state. Well, that wasn't clear to me, I don't know if it is clear to others.

As the info starts with stating the existing XH version, installed plugins, server, php-version, I kind of expected it to continue this way with the system check and thought, hm, the wording is somewhat odd.

Whichever way we do it, the best way would be if it would be clear without having to read the manual. We could put the no ok points in red color describing the actual state. This way people usually understand that here is a problem.

Anyhow, it's a minor point...

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 am

svasti wrote:Oh, it's only now I understand that the text is supposed to state the desired state. Well, that wasn't clear to me, I don't know if it is clear to others.
There has been at least one similar report before, so you're not the only one.
svasti wrote:We could put the no ok points in red color describing the actual state. This way people usually understand that here is a problem.
I'd try to avoid any solution that relies on CSS only, if possible, due to decreased accessibility. Maybe it it sufficient to change the heading to something like "Check of desired state" (German: "Prüfung des Sollzustands").
svasti wrote:Anyhow, it's a minor point...
It is important to get the details right, though. :)

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:39 am

I'm still unsure how to solve this best. Maybe it might be best to simply change the wording, generally, i.e. to something like:
The check for CMSimple_XH version ≥ 5.3 failed.
This way the wording would be clear, and we'd need only one additional language string for all system checks.

Anyway, I'd prefer to have one (or more) PRs for that so that the different solutions could be easily compared, and it might be crystal clear on what exactly to vote.