Saving issues

General questions about CMSimple
herrzhull

Saving issues

Post by herrzhull » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi all,

I’m trying to create a CMSimple driven website and am nearing completion. However, now that I’m only to copy and paste the stuff from the old website to the new one, I’m experiencing some trouble. Each time I save the tekst, my browser gives a 404 error. When I then view the page, some tekst is on it, but a large part went missing. At first I thought the problem occurred due to the teksts’ markup, but even when I copy the tekst to a .txt and try again, I only upload half the tekst. I also tried saving it with fckeditor but the problem persists.

Note: I can copy and save 100 paragraphs of dummy tekst from http://www.lipsum.com/ without removing markup or whatever and it works fine. I’m out of ideas here…

Help very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Zhull

herrzhull

Re: Saving issues

Post by herrzhull » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:19 pm

OK, so I think I found a possible explanation for this apparently uncommon issue (yeah, I’ve been googeling for this for 2 days now…). I think it might have something to do with special characters interfering with my code when saving. A solution for this would be to implement addslashes. Since I’m kindoff a PHP noob, does anyone how to implement this into CMSimple or is willing to look into it and tell me what to do? I’ve tried it already without success =|.

info:
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.addslashes.php

Thanks!

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:57 pm

herrzhull wrote:A solution for this would be to implement addslashes.
No.
Content is text and never should be saved with slashes. If so, your text will change e.g.: here's your's into -> here\'s your\'s. That's not your problem!

Two possible ways to find the problem:
1. Check it out on another CMSimple-Installation (other Host online or local). If the problem only occures on your original-host, it's a Server-problem.
2. Find out how much of your text can be saved correctly via copy/paste. Copy small parts step for step into CMSimple. The moment the problem occures you know, the part you copied last contains something special. Paste this part of text.

For further help, we need more informations.
- What's the text you'r copying?
- CMSimple-Version?
- Web-Adress?

mvwd.

herrzhull

Post by herrzhull » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I’ll try the other host option first, before posting any details of an unfinished website (would be bad advertising ;)). But I can give you an example of text that’s being cut in half. This doesn’t happen with the text that’s located above it (which is a LOT more than this).

Code: Select all

Presentations on conferences
·	 6th French conference on Nutrition. 29 november – 1 December, 2006. Nice, Frankrijk. 
Platform (invited): Role du microbiote intestinal dans le métabolisme des composés aromatiques polycycliques et hétérocycliques.

·	International Symposium on Gut Microbiology. 20-23 Juni 2006. Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK. June 2006. 
Platform : Inulin and Lactobacillus amylovorus supplemented to human gut microbiota lower the microbial bioactivation of dietary aromatic contaminants to estrogenic metabolites.
Poster : Metabolism of the food associated carcinogen 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine (PHIP) by human intestinal microbiota
Poster : The effect of two different types of arabinoxylanoligosaccharides on the level of human fecal bifidobacteria determined using realtime PCR. 
·	Chemicals in People Workshop. May 2006. KVIV (Koninklijke Vlaamse Ingenieursvereniging), Antwerpen. 
Platform : Omzetting van polluenten in maag-darmsysteem
·	SETAC North-America 25th annual meeting. 14-18 November 2004. Portland, USA.
source: http://labmet.ugent.be/easycms/staff/Dr ... n_de_Wiele

Quite an interesting read, isn't it ;)

Thanks,
Zhull

edit: I tried removing the "[" allready without succes.

benutti

Post by benutti » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:34 am

dude... trouble is the word "post" ... even as in compostela ... still don't know workaround though

herrzhull

Post by herrzhull » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 pm

you, my man, are a genius.

Didn't anyone ever experience this issue? Its quite a common word... and I used it like 10 times by using the word "poster" in that tekst :D.

Any thoughts on how cope with this problem are very much appreciated! :)

herrzhull

Post by herrzhull » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:05 pm

I thought the problem was solved, but its quite a persistent error. I tried setting up a clean CMS and the problem is there again. I guess I was just lucky once but now its back. How random can an error be ;). I find it hard to imagine that noone ever uses the word “post” in a CMSimple based website, so I shouldn’t be the first one to come across this. Workarounds are welcome :)

Sincerely,
Zhull

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:36 am

...i tested to copy'n'paste offline also as online, with and without FCKeditor and never had problems. So i don't think this is a CMSimple-problem but a server-problem. Check out my test-pages:
http://www.mv-web-design.de/playground/ ... 7n%27paste
http://www.mv-web-design.de/playground/ ... _FCKEditor

Without giving a url, i think there are just a few ways for you to check out what's going on. You need to be familiar with html:
- paste in oEdit -> change to html-mode, check the code. Anything missing? Check the code in html-mode after saving again.
- goTo 'Settings' -> Content->'edit' -> paste pure html. Check the code after saving.
- check your php-settings (phpinfo()).

mvwd.

herrzhull

Post by herrzhull » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:29 am

I guess it was indeed a server issue. I tested it on another server now and it does seem to be saving correctly. I'm still quite unsure as to how the problem could be so random - just chopping up text without any consistency.

Thank you for looking into this matter, problem solved (for the time being :) )

Cheers!
Zhull