Page scheduling addon

General questions about CMSimple

Should a scheduling functionality added to page_params plugin?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:14 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 12

jerry

Page scheduling addon

Post by jerry » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi
I've made a little extension to page_params plugin which allows scheduling of publishing period by entering the publishing and expirations dates. This addon replaces plugin "Remove Expired Page (XH)". I hope that this addon can be included in future distribution package of CMSimple_XH and in this case I will stop distribution of this addon and plugin "Removed Expired Page". Plugin Newsbox Rotator (684 downloads last year) will in the future also use scheduling functionality of this addon and therfore it is important that this addon can be included in the standard distribution of CMSimple_XH. I hope you will consider it seriously.

I included danish translation in languages folder of this addon.

The addon can be downloaded from: http://cmsimple.jakobsfeld.com/?Page_scheduling_addon

Regards
Jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

Martin

Re: Page scheduling addon

Post by Martin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Jerry,

I would not mind, if this extension will be included. Seems to be the right place for a scheduling addon.

But: We should keep CMSimple simple - it achieves its charme and raison d' être from being a basic, easy to use CMS without a lot of gadgets. No need to study a manual before using it, easy to adjust to individual needs by plugins and templates and very fast. I don't think that your addon hurts this principles, but where should we stop? We have been discussing about the fields that should be integrated - author?, header image? etc. - and decided not to offer too much by default: just get rid of the need of #CMSimple#-scripting for some common everyday tasks. (And offer an api for "page related" plug-ins.)

Maybe we should use the "open development" subforum for a discussion of feature requests? What belongs to the basics? What is knickknack? Perhaps there could be some kind of poll? Allthough I don't think that scheduling belongs to the common wishlist for a CMS, that is made for rather small websites, basically maintained by a single user - your addon would get my vote anyway!

Regards
Martin

jerry

Post by jerry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply. I agree that CMSimple should be kept simple. But I can't imagine that's only me that have pages that expires and needs to be removed (preferably automatically) from the site. I use at the moment sheduling facility in two plugins: Remove Expired Page and News Rotator. Scheduling possibility, if included in core CMSimple_XH will replace Expired Page and support scheduling functionality of News Rotator much better then today. But if it's not a part of core CMSimple then I can't support this facility in plugins. Every new release of CMSimple_XH will require that I release a new version of addon and I can't promise that.

So the argument for including sheduling facility in core CMSimple_XH is that I can remove one plugin and integrate it in the other. It's another way to make CMSimple as simple as possible. But the evaluation of schedulings importnace and usability is up to CMSimple_XH team. Please consider it seriously.

regards
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

jerry

Post by jerry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm

I can not support this addon so I have stopped the distribution.
regards
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

Torsten.Behrens

Post by Torsten.Behrens » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 pm

So my people. I have the feeling that we've all been surprised by Peter. Now we all have much more responsibility for CMSimple, especially the XH team. They are making decisions and if there is a decision against something, useful extensions are missing. And someone may be disappointed. Disappointment inhibits motivation.

We should agree and organize the decisions on the future of CMSimple better.

We need a roadmap for CMSimple.

We need a democratic organization, which represents the interests of CMSimple to the outside and inside.

We need to clarify the legal issues:
http://www.cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic. ... 9092#p9057

Torsten
Torsten Behrens
CMSimple Templates

Gert

Post by Gert » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 am

Hi jerry, why don't you make an own plugin using the same interface like page_params and meta_tags names "schedule"? Then you are independedent from the update cycles of CMSimple_XH.

Ask Martin for his tutorial.
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:53 am

jerry wrote:I've made a little extension to page_params plugin which allows scheduling of publishing period by entering the publishing and expirations dates.
Sorry in advance for this (stupid?) question, but isn't it the same as http://mv-web-design.de/?CMSimple:Plugins:sContent ?

Torsten.Behrens

Post by Torsten.Behrens » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 am

Gert wrote:Hi jerry, why don't you make an own plugin using the same interface like page_params and meta_tags names "schedule"? Then you are independedent from the update cycles of CMSimple_XH.

Ask Martin for his tutorial.
Thanks Gert.
Exactly what I mean. Always show an alternative, so that everyone can stay involved. In the years have gone too far CMSimple developers.
Torsten Behrens
CMSimple Templates

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 am

Hmm, I think this addon schould find it's way into the main distribution.

It's the right place for a scheduling functionality and by this way it's much easier usable than every other known plugin-based solution.
And, as jerry wrote, it can be used by other plugins too.

It's the same story like the "redirect" functionality. This is also easy to do this by scripting - but much easier by clicking ;) .

So this addon gets my vote.

Holger

Tata

Post by Tata » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 am

IMHO if there is any function added into the core raising the functinality of the product, allowing the user to use new function without the need to dig in code, then such feature should be adopted as the standard part of the base core.
I think that the same approach has been followed with re-including the mailform in one of our very first versions of CMSimple-XH.
My +1 to include it.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.