multi-language site

General questions about CMSimple
ruth

multi-language site

Post by ruth » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:13 pm

newest version of CMSimple_XH

We tried to set up a site with pages in 3 different languages:
a) the function languagemenu() which appears in the template is not called (but the others are: mailformlink(),...). Apparently, it does not exist.
b) replacing it with languagemenu2() from the plugin "multilang" does not work neither. multilang appears in the plugins, but it is unclear how to setup the translated pages, place flags and so on.

Is there any clear description how to set up a multi-language site or are templates out which have this feature ?

Thank you

cmb

Re: multi-language site

Post by cmb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:42 pm

ruth wrote:newest version of CMSimple_XH
Just to clarify: is it CMSimple_XH 1.5.9? There's a beta version of CMSimple_XH 1.6 out there, but this is for testing purposes only; furthermore Multilang_XH won't work with CMSimple_XH 1.6.[1]
ruth wrote:Is there any clear description how to set up a multi-language site or are templates out which have this feature ?
You can find the description on http://www.cmsimple-xh.org/wiki/doku.ph ... l_websites. If languagemenu() in the default template does not work, it most likely won't work in another template. One reason why languagemenu() would fail, is that the installation folder has not the required permissions (i.e. 0555).

You may consider enabling the debug mode, which might give some hints on what's wrong.

PS: [1] There will be substitute called Polyglott_XH, though.
Last edited by cmb on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

ruth

Post by ruth » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 pm

thank you for your kind reply, it took me a step further.

Yes, version is CMSimple_XH 1.5.9 Released: 2013-09-10

No I see the flags. But there a still problems:
I made 3 copies of 2lang (renaming it to 2lang_sic): en, es, de, but the flags mess up (spanish is not shown).

How can I change the menus for the 3 languages?

thank you for your patience

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 pm

ruth wrote:We tried to set up a site with pages in 3 different languages:
ruth wrote:I made 3 copies of 2lang (renaming it to 2lang_sic): en, es, de, but the flags mess up (spanish is not shown).
Assuming the main language of the site shall be en, you have to make 2 copies of 2lang/ only, and name them es/ and de/. In this case the setting under CMS -> Settings -> Language -> Default should be "en". The language menu will then always show only 2 flags, because switching to the currently language is usually unnecessary.

You can see it on the CMSimple_XH demo site. There are 5 languages (the main language being English), but the languagemenu always shows only 4 flags.

ruth

Post by ruth » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:08 am

cmb wrote: Assuming the main language of the site shall be en, you have to make 2 copies of 2lang/ only, and name them es/ and de/. In this case the setting under CMS -> Settings -> Language -> Default should be "en".
Thats what I did: 3 dirs: 2lang/, es/, de/
cmb wrote: The language menu will then always show only 2 flags, because switching to the currently language is usually unnecessary.
No, I still don't get spanish (es), only 1 flag: German (when in the English part) or English (when in the German part).
How could Spanish disappear??

Thanks again for your kind response.

ruth

Post by ruth » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:43 am

Oh, oh, I got it:

I have the "unified page name" in the English and German part, but I forget to set it in the Spanish page. That's why the Spanish flag disappeared.
Now I have the 3 flags!
Thank you, very nice system.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:49 pm

ruth wrote:Now I have the 3 flags!
Fine. :)