Stopping the menu from loading content

About the template and stylesheet - and changing the menu
sydnytt

Stopping the menu from loading content

Post by sydnytt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Hello, i am a new user to CMSimple and i was wondering how i would edit the behavior of links in the menu.

for example, we have a list of projects. in the menu, we have listed the following:
about
projects
contact

under projects, there is a list of different projects. when a visitor clicks on projects, i would like cmsimple to not load a new page, only show the projects submenu in the menu.

any advice on how to do this would be appreciated!

maeg

Re: Stopping the menu from loading content

Post by maeg » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi

There is a addon called xtoc.
With xtoc you can make the menu, so when you mouseower the menu, it will display the submenu, and if you mouseower the submenu it will displat the menu in 3 level.

svasti

Post by svasti » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:08 am

sydnytt wrote:i would like cmsimple to not load a new page, only show the projects submenu in the menu.
This is usually done with a drop down or fold out menu, which shows subpages when the mouse is on the link.
There is no special setting in the CMS, it's all done in the template. Most templates with such a function use a little add on like xtoc (check the templates that come with XH 1.6.1), but you can have this also without xtoc.

An example you can download is the template mini2, which is practically the same as mini1, the default template of CMSimple_XH 1.6.1, however with a drop down menu. (We didn't include it in XH 1.6.1, as the css is a little tricky and mini1 was meant to be an easy to understand example.)
On my website there are also vertical fold out menues, which I like even better.

svasti

Post by svasti » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi sydnytt,
sydnytt wrote:when a visitor clicks on projects, i would like cmsimple to not load a new page, only show the projects submenu in the menu.
This would need a special javascript solution, which would be a part of the template. Could actually be done.

svasti

Post by svasti » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am

Hi sydnytt,

dont' know if you are still reading this. Another possibility to do your kind of menu would be to do it with my plugin Expandcontract. You could link via Expandcontract to a page, which consist of links to the different tasks. Online visitor would have to click on the Expandcontract link, which would open without reloading the page.
If you are interested in foldout menus, here is a variation based on the mini1 theme which is meant as starting point for developing your own templates:
Template with foldout menu