403 error

A place to report and discuss bugs - please mention CMSimple-version, server, platform and browser version
sagittaep

403 error

Post by sagittaep » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm

What permissions can we work with. My new host tells us to set them as 644 for files and 755 for folders.

I have a very nasty feeling that CMSimple won't work with this.. they definitely don't accept 777 .. any chance to set it a bit stricter?

I can't waste too much time on this. I will return to my old host which is in the USA.. I am in Canada and went to a Canadian host with this as a result.. first 406 now 403 and also php won't work from folders, only in the root directory..

Hope this forum is still active enough to help me out. Thanks!!

Ellen

maeg

Re: 403 error

Post by maeg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:11 am

Gert

Post by Gert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:31 am

Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

sagittaep

Post by sagittaep » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 am

Thanks Gert, but even that doesn't seem to help.

I re-installed it all, in case I edited too much. Then I was getting the 406 error again. Changed all the passwd to keycut as recommended in the other thread.

Now I get to entering the cmsimple password (test)... and it doesn't go again, it's stuck on that screen.

Then turned Magic quotes off (as the host had them on) in a separate ini in /cmsimple and /content, should it be elsewhere (in the root too)

Permissions files are 644 and folders are 755 - it won't allow more...

There is an .htaccess in /cmsimple, should that be used outside the root directory??? I have it in /cmsimple and in /content... it has:

order deny,allow
deny from all

I am not a very good php programmer, very low level. I will have a friend look into it tomorrow, but if that doesn't work, I might have to ask help from someone here, carefully saying I am even prepared to pay, as I am bound to lose $200 on this whole scheme if it doesn't work. I am deeply disappointed because with the canadian host we can search for .ca page content on Google and on the US hosts that is harder to get it on the canadian search...

But I am going back to my old host if this is not working. I love cmsimple.. if I cannot use it anymore I will be close to heart broken...

BTW, Gert, are you Dutch? I am Dutch too.. Canadian / Dutch, moved over here 25 years ago

Ellen - almost at the end of my rope...

Gert

Post by Gert » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:30 am

sagittaep wrote:BTW, Gert, are you Dutch? I am Dutch too..
No, German, have a look at my post-footer-link ;)

I don't understand, sorry:

Your server doesn't allow 777/666, and with 755/644 it doesn't work?
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

sagittaep

Post by sagittaep » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Ach so, wie gehts Gert? Ich kann ein bisschen deutsch sprechen aber nicht genug fuer Rechner Sprache :-)

Re permissions, I don't know.. it's a guess now because I get an error when pushing the permissions up and so I don't know if it would work then, and it doesn't want to do anything otherwise, and the question is, if it is a permission problem....

My friend can look at it tonight. If things don't work then, I might call on personal help.

sagittaep

Post by sagittaep » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Fooling around some more.. I still have the permissions at 755 and 644

I changed the passwd to keycut in login php .. got rid of the 406 error.. but should I also change passwd to keycut in:

$onload = ' onLoad="self.focus();document.login.passwd.focus()"';

??

It does not give the 406 error with the passwd there...

My friend said this week that he didn't like the .htaccess files being in in the subfolders (/cmsimple and /content)...With those no php program works in the subdirectories (testing with my display phpinfo() program try.php)

It gives a: 403 Forbidden - Server configuration does not allow access to this page.

Next step... Removing .htaccess which has the following code in it:
order deny,allow
deny from all

I don't know .htaccess coding, so lost why... I removed them. my try.php worked now in subdirectories /cmsimple and /content.. okay...

Running index.php again... logging in... but stuck in the login screen... At least no 403 forbidden error message.

Changed folders 777, still same, no error message, so now we're at least functioning that way...

/cmsimple 777 folder and 666 file. /content 777

still no go. stuck on login...

I am not good enough to really go indepth into the login.php if that is even the problem.

(timid voice): help....

mvwd

Post by mvwd » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:57 am

Ok, so let us start from the beginning....

Can you please explain what is working and what's not!?
  1. Is the Frontend still shown?
  2. What happens if you click the login-link?
    • Is there a Login-Form shown?
If you have set your files/folders to 644/755 CMSimple will work!
Setting higher permission to the files/folders has nothing to do with the login and is only needed for getting the files writeable!
The .htacces in the subfolders do make sense, because you do not need to access anything directly there.

If you clicked on the login-link, entered a password and CMSimple returned with 403, your Password is wrong! Check it via ftp!

You can try (if not done until now) to upload a new/unchanged CMSimple (e.g. in a subfolder). But remember: no folders with two characters or a foldername containing an undescore (_). Maybe something's wrong with your installation!? For a further help it will be easier to help, if we know following information: CMSimple-Version / -Edition; phpinfo(); Link to the page....

mvwd.

sagittaep

Re: 403 error (and also 406)

Post by sagittaep » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 am

Thanks so much for all the help. First of all it taught me a lot, second of all I appreciate the community here, you are all so helpful and friendly!

I missed a passwd in cms.php and when I changed that to keycut... things suddenly worked!!!

Now setting permissions back to 755 644 and it still works... My problem was that I could not log into the edit mode screen. I just wouldn't.

I will keep you posted, but truly EVERY occurrence of 'passwd' has to be changed. even the

$onload = ' onLoad="self.focus();document.login.keycut.focus()"'; where keycut was passwd

The config.php had the password as "test" so I kept it that way, that wasn't the problem.

I have followed a beginners course in php but ya, that is not enough. It makes one less scared of it all, but I am still very much impressed with the program!

However, it is such a pleasure when things work!

Thanks again!

Ellen - in return I will try to do something back to the community and I offered my services to attempt helping with translating. I know some German and even though my first language is Dutch, I am in Canada for 27 years now. I know computer lingo in English and not even well in Dutch! I talked to Gert :-)