Edit Icons Dissappear

A place to report and discuss bugs - please mention CMSimple-version, server, platform and browser version
TisDone

Edit Icons Dissappear

Post by TisDone » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:56 am

Platform: Linux Hosting on GoDaddy
Server: Apache 1.3.33/PHP 5.2.5

When attempting to edit my site in Firefox 3 on either WinXP or Mac:
The edit icon buttons appear and disappear with each page reload. For example, I log in to the site, go to edit a page, and the edit icons are there. If I click on another page name, the new page loads, and the edit icons are still there. However, if I click on the browser reload button, the page loads correctly, with the exception of the edit icons. They disappear, but the alt text still appears and the buttons still work. Click reload again, and the edit icon images come back. It works like clock work, alternating back and forth with each page load.

If I attempt to load the image link directly (http://www.oururlhere.com/?image=h1) - the same thing happens. On one load, the image icon will load. On the next, rather than the broken image indicator, I get a "Internal Server Error" -- click reload again, and the icon image is back. Unfortunately, since I have the economy plan on GoDaddy, I don't have access to the access/error logs to see if there is any useful information in there.

When attempting to edit my site in IE7 on WinXP:
The edit icon buttons do not load, instead, I get the broken image indicator. The buttons alt text still appears, and the buttons work. However, unlike Firefox, the edit icons never come up, even with reloading the page.

Clearing caches in IE and Firefox do nothing, the problem is still there.

I don't think I changed anything on the site that would have caused it. The person who updates the content to me just reported it today, so I don't know exactly when it started. Noticing that there was an indeed a new version, I upgraded from 3.0 to 3.2, and the problem is still there, exactly as before I upgraded.

So - could this be something I caused? Is this something that GoDaddy changed on the backend? Is there anyway I can fix it? Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm happy to supply any other info that would be helpful ...

Thanks, -Eric

ZiPs

Re: Edit Icons Dissappear

Post by ZiPs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 am

Hi TisDone

Is it the same problem as this http://www.cmsimpleforum.com/......button

/ZiPs
Preben Dahl | Webmaster cmsimple.dk | Projekt-og domæne ejer Gert Ebersbach

TisDone

Re: Edit Icons Dissappear

Post by TisDone » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Howdy -

Yes - the supplied screenshots on that post do match what I see on my end when viewing with IE.

I've verified that the version of cms.php and image.php are indeed identical and uploaded correctly via ascii mode.

However - the problem remained ... until I started looking a little closer at image.php.

I guessed that since at least when viewed with firefox, the problem appeared on every other page load, it might have something to do with page caching. So, noticing the cache-control header line, I looked up some other options, and replaced:

header("Cache-Control: max-age=10000000, s-maxage=1000000, proxy-revalidate, must-revalidate");

with the following instead:

header("Cache-Control: no-store");

After doing that, and deleting cache/temporary internet files in the browser (both IE7 and Firefox 3), the problem went away. Sure, it took a few extra milliseconds for each of the images to be loaded, but after that, it was working. Our content person is able to live with those extra milliseconds, so I will be leaving it this way for now.

So since this appears to be working for now, I'm happy. As to why the old cache settings stopped working, is it perhaps a change in how IE7 and FF3 handle the cache-control headers? My content person isn't sure when IE was upgraded from 6 to 7, so I can't pinpoint if that's an issue (and I don't have IE6 around here to test with).

On the other hand, might it be something that GoDaddy changed in the background for how Apache is serving up things that should be cached?