XH 1.6.6: webpage name 'images' problem

A place to report and discuss bugs - please mention CMSimple-version, server, platform and browser version
kurtm

XH 1.6.6: webpage name 'images' problem

Post by kurtm » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 am

I've newly installed ver 1.6.6 and now get a problem if I create a new web page named 'images'.
When clicking on the menu item I am taken directly to the 'images' folder navigation and not to a page with my content. Is 'images' a reserved word?
I have zGallery in plugins.

manu

Re: XH 1.6.6: webpage name 'images' problem

Post by manu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:21 am

This is true, "images" is a reserved word for pagenames.
Look here.
regards manu

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:54 am

The list posted in the other thread is fully not up-to-date anymore, but IMHO the biggest problem is that all plugin names are basically reserved (for instance, call a page "pagemanager" and request it in admin mode). A viable workaround for this issue is to capitalize the page names (e.g. "Images" instead of "images").
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

kurtm

Post by kurtm » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Many thanks manu and cmb.
I've been using CMSimple since the original version (way back when) but had never needed a page titled 'images' until now hence the 'reserved word' issue.
Obviously it is very undesirable to have such a common word being reserved, however I'm a believer in the simplicity of CMSimple (XH) so I'll work around it. If I was a developer I would look for another process to minimise the reserved words, but as I'm not then I'll leave the grunt work to our generous coders who have plenty of other issues to work on. Often use of reserved words provide a crack/back-door in security.
Thanks again,
KurtM

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 am

kurtm wrote:If I was a developer I would look for another process to minimise the reserved words, [...]
I agree that we should do something to improve on that. The simplest solution would be to prefix those words with "xh" or "xh_" as has been done for newly introduced special "page names" (for instances, "xhpages", "xh_backups" and "xh_pagedata"). That will cause some incompatibilities with plugins and addons, though, but that might be tolerable for XH 1.7, and maybe the most problematic "page names" might not be changed for XH 1.7.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH