Let's talk about 'Flash' ?

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
Nicky

Let's talk about 'Flash' ?

Post by Nicky » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 pm

My daughter is going into a bachelor study for webdesign, I looked at the lesson schedule and saw quite a lot of 'flash' lessons... What do you (community) think about that? Looking at Iphone, Ipad, etc, where Flash will be banned shortly.. On the other hand, YouTube still offers all their video's in .swf. Very curious about this community's opinion, and maybe.... a solution to view flash on mac apps anyhow?

cmb

Re: Let's talk about 'Flash' ?

Post by cmb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Nicky,

IMHO SWF was an important part of the web in its early days as many things were not possible without it. But with the implementation of basic HTML5 by modern browsers this has changed: the <video> and <audio> elements allow playing multimedia files in more open formats than Sorenson Spark or VP6. And the <canvas> element even allows arbitrary animations, which can be programmed with Javascript. So I see not much use for SWF nowadays, except as fallback for older browsers. After all: HTML5 and Javascript (to be exact: ECMA script) are international standards, opposed to SWF which is proprietary software.
Nicky wrote:On the other hand, YouTube still offers all their video's in .swf.
Youtube offers an HTML5 video player since more than two years: http://www.youtube.com/html5. And I'm sure this will be the default player sometimes.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 am

I've just stumbled across Adobe's opinion on the subject: http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/20 ... focus.html. Quite interesting ;)

PS:
Nicky wrote:a solution to view flash on mac apps anyhow?
Do you mean Flash Video? If so, you might consider to convert the FLVs to MP4 or WebM.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:04 pm

cmb wrote:
Nicky wrote:a solution to view flash on mac apps anyhow?
Do you mean Flash Video? If so, you might consider to convert the FLVs to MP4 or WebM.
Thanks to johnjdoe, just today I learned about Swiffy. This seems to be able to convert SWF animations to HTML5.