simpleSolutions.dk

Re: CMSimple_XH 1.6 RC

Post by simpleSolutions.dk » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Thx. I thought it was generated by core

simpleSolutions.dk

Post by simpleSolutions.dk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi
Something has changed in the file browser. Compared to version 1.59, the new filebrowser is twice as long to show the same amount of pictures

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm

simpleSolutions.dk wrote:Compared to version 1.59, the new filebrowser is twice as long to show the same amount of pictures
I just checked that on my local machine, and the overall performance (i.e. until the page is rendered in the browser, when caching is disabled) was nearly identical. However, that doesn't mean much, as the performance most likely depends on the number and size of the images. Of course, changes in the PHP code may make a noticeable difference, but I assume that doesn't matter too much in this case, but it may make an huge difference if the images are already cached (how much, depends on the client computer, though).

Well, to actually figure out what's going on: do you have the same images (not only the same number) in both installations, and are you using the same content? Is the problem really related to the server side PHP, or the transmission or rendering in the browser (you may compare the performance with caching en-/disabled). Can you do some profiling? I can image that the performance difference is due to fileList() in plugins/filebrowser/classes/filebrowser.php resp. Filebrowser_Controller.php, but it would be good to verify that before wasting time with micro optimizations. In my test environment the 1.6 version takes twice as long as the 1.5.9 version, but in both cases that's only a rather small fraction of the complete script execution.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

simpleSolutions.dk

Post by simpleSolutions.dk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi Christoph
I will make some more tests. The real problem is that I get timeouts in filebrowser. I have a huge image folder and may be it is necessary to split it and move some images to 2lang folder. But in this case thay are not accessible to filebrowser. As far as I can see the filebrowser can only accesses images from userfiles in rootfolder.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 am

Hi Jerry,
simpleSolutions.dk wrote:The real problem is that I get timeouts in filebrowser.
Er, that's really bad and shouldn't happen! I'll investigate on this further.
simpleSolutions.dk wrote:As far as I can see the filebrowser can only accesses images from userfiles in rootfolder.
In this regard the filebrowser should behave as in previous CMSimple(_XH) versions -- there is 1 folder for all languages. (Seems reasonable for images, though not necessarily for audio files, for instance.)
simpleSolutions.dk wrote:I have a huge image folder and may be it is necessary to split it and move some images to 2lang folder.
Um, what about creating subfolders inside the image folder? Besides that you'll have to adjust the image src's in the content, the only drawback I can see is that the files in subfolders will not be displayed in the "image list" in the image dialog of TinyMCE. However, there was a discussion in the German forum a while ago about this issue, and the developed workaround might be useful. But still, I'm not convinced that it is reasonable to put a lot of images (say, more than 100) directly in the images folder.

simpleSolutions.dk

Post by simpleSolutions.dk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Christoph
Um, what about creating subfolders inside the image folder
I have several subfolders in image forlder and it works fine except timeouts. It is no problem to navigate to images in subfolders even in tinymce.
I had no time to look on your code but if you only read the content of images folder without subfolders i should not get timout.
By the way I moved about 60% of images to 2lang subfolder and don't get timeout anymore. So it is a temporary solution that I can use right now. :idea:

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:05 pm

I've made some tests. 100 subfolders with 100 images each slow down the filebrowser considerably, but that's far from a timeout. Even 100 subfolders with 1000 images "only" take about 15-20 secs on my local machine. It takes so long, because the filebrowser displays a newsted list of subfolders, so it has to check each directory entry with is_dir(). However, I assume you don't have 10,000 images or even more, so this shouldn't be a real issue.
simpleSolutions.dk wrote:I have several subfolders in image forlder and it works fine except timeouts. It is no problem to navigate to images in subfolders even in tinymce.
Do you mean the filebrowser works fast when called from TinyMCE, but not when called from the admin menu? In this case the issue is most likely related to the usage check, which is omitted in the "editor-browser", because it's not possible to delete images there, anyway. There were huge performance issues with this routine, but they have been considerably improved with XH 1.5.4.

I'm not aware, that there has been a relevant change for XH 1.6 in this regard. Maybe something else is interfering in your installation. :?

PS: Can you check, if the "image tracking" is causing the timeout issue by changing line 370 in plugins/filebrowser/classes/Filebrowser_View.php:

Code: Select all

$imgs = array(); //$fb->usedImages();  
Last edited by cmb on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi
I found omissions in the help of the administration. 3 variables are missing in $tx array (de and en):
$tx['help']['meta_author']="Précise le nom de l'auteur des pages aux moteurs de recherche (optionnel)";
$tx['help']['meta_publisher']="Précise le nom de l'éditeur des pages aux moteurs de recherche (optionnel)";
$tx['help']['backup_numberoffiles']="Nombre de sauvegardes à conserver";
(Extracted from my fr.php for RC1)

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I have added the following language strings:

$tx['help']['meta_author']="Specifies the name of the author of the website for search engines (optional).";
$tx['help']['meta_publisher']="Specifies the name of the publisher of the website for search engines (optional).";
$tx['help']['backup_numberoffiles']="Number of retained backups.";
resp.

$tx['help']['meta_author']="Gibt den Namen des Autors der Website für Suchmaschinen an (optional).";
$tx['help']['meta_publisher']="Gibt den Namen des Herausgebers der Website für Suchmaschinen an (optional).";
$tx['help']['backup_numberoffiles']="Anzahl der beibehaltenen Sicherungskopien.";
BTW: any ideas what to do with the metaXY.php files? Nobody else has stated their opinion, yet. See http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5009 and http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 269#p38255.

svasti

Post by svasti » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh, Christoph was faster! So I don't know what has happedn now to the code.
Bob wrote:I found omissions in the help of the administration. 3 variables are missing in $tx array (de and en):
True, and now I just added them in Revision 1146.
It does make the entries a little clearer to new comers.

However I enlarged your text a bit, to make difference between author and publisher clear:
$tx['help']['meta_publisher']="(Optional) Enter here for the benefit of search engines the publisher of your site, i.e. the person or institute responsable for the site.";
So more of less:
$tx['help']['meta_publisher']="Précise le nom du responsable du site aux moteurs de recherche (optionnel)";

svasti