Meaning of XH?

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
svasti

Meaning of XH?

Post by svasti » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:20 pm

I got an email from a user where he is asking (among other things) for the meaning of XH.
And he guesses that the meaning may be eXtended Html (in the sense of html5).
Not bad, I think, as nowadays the xhtml/html discussion seems to be largely replaced by HTML5

What about CMSimple_XH = CMSimple with eXtended Handling??

cmb

Re: Meaning of XH?

Post by cmb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:29 pm

svasti wrote:Not bad, I think, as nowadays the xhtml/html discussion seems to be largely replaced by HTML5
No, see http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/ which has the subtitle "A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML", and elaborates on the issue in http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction ... l-vs-xhtml. Anyhow, it seems to be reasonable to reject the original meaning of XH, as that was never true.
svasti wrote:What about CMSimple_XH = CMSimple with eXtended Handling??
Not sure -- that might be interpreted as opposed to being simple.

Besides interpreting XH as Roman letters, we may consider interpreting them as Greek (chi eta) resp. Cyrillic (Kha En) letters.

FWIW: we had a short brainstorming regarding this issue earlier.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

svasti

Re: Meaning of XH?

Post by svasti » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:50 am

I raised the topic because on cmsimple-xh.org it would be fitting to give a sensible explanation of the name.
Now the name is a bit unhandy, and given a good meaning to XH, this could be used as a short name for the system. Anyhow, if time is hanging heavy on anybodys hand and he is having a creative urge, why not give XH a new chance.

An alternative would be to declare that XH has no special meaning at all, ... having come up in the evolution of the system, having lost its original meaning and serving now to differenciate the system from the rest of the world.