Simpler Installation of CMSimple_XH

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
phg

Simpler Installation of CMSimple_XH

Post by phg » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi all

in the last days I worked hard on a program which will make the Installion of CMSimple_XH more easy.

I think, a normal user has at least three problems:

1. He has to install and use a FTP-Program.
2. He has to determine the "document-root" on the webserver
3. Finally he has to set the properties of some web-directories.

With my program he hasn't to deal with all that.

He (and you) must download one file ( http://www.prof-horst-guenther.de/cmsim ... ll_exe.zip), extract it to any local directory and start setup.exe. All necessary files are included: CMSimple_XH Version 1 too. Then he has to answer some questions in 4 steps and all is done.

The program is written in PHP and "compiled" to an EXE with ZZEE-PhpEXE.

In the next step I will make a second version, which will run on the server. So, there is nothing to download for the user, it will act like a "Server-to-server" Program. I know, that the user has to send his FTP-Password and so on to the server, which is a security-risk. But before the user often doesnt know what happens, he will do that.

My biggest open problem is to show a progress-bar while uploading. Because that needs up to 5 Minutes, there must happen anything for the user. In my lokal environment (PHPEd by NuSphere) there is no problem. But the solution doesn't work in the "compiled" version. So, after Step 3 be patient.

I think, there will be some bugs. And I am not very good in web-design. I hope, someone will test that program, tell me the bugs and give some suggestions.

I am very curious about your replies.

Thanks

phg
Last edited by phg on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LarsEllmauer

Re: Simpler Installation of CMSimple_XH

Post by LarsEllmauer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Interesting approach, although Jens is already providing an FTP-Install (http://install.cmsimple.de/cmsimpleinstall/index.php)

What I was wondering: if a user really has trouble installing and using an FTP-program, do you think it is a good idea to give him full control over the server?

I mean, helping the user is one thing, but I am not really sure if it will ease your life if you let unexperienced users set up the system themselves. I expect even more problems to come out of that...

Cheers,
Lars

phg

Post by phg » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi all,

First: It isnt a good idea, to upload files, if you are in a hurry: I forgot, to delete my ftp-Data. New Version in the evening.

UPDATE: The new version is available at http://www.prof-horst-guenther.de/cmsim ... ll_exe.zip

@lars: Dont understand you! If a user uses a ftp-program or my program. With a ftp-program he can destroy all, with my program he can only uload some files.
So he has not full access to the server.

I didnt know the program of Jens. I will have a look on it.
Last edited by phg on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarsEllmauer

Post by LarsEllmauer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm

I meant the following:

IMHO, it is important to have at least some basic knowledge to set up and administer a website. Providing easy solutions for installation might lead the unexperienced user to think that he can manage all the work himself.

Looking at some of the questions that you brought up in the past as coming from your users, I honestly dought that they can handle that. I see a lot of new questions arising after the "automatic" install, which might cause even more support work for you than you already had in the past.

I am not dealing with any customers as I am only working with CMSimple as a hobby, but if I did it professionally, I would not give the installation out of my hands.

Cheers,
Lars

phg

Post by phg » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Lars,

I definitly cannot follow you. The questions of the users are totally independent from the installation.

I tried the Installation of Jens: No success, no message. When I fill out the form and submit it, it is immeditly shown with empty fields.

BTW: I send Jens a mail some days before. No reply.

Another thing may be, if anyone does deal with CMSimple professonally. For this persons I can imagine, that they if the users dont need them. But I think, that is another question.