Banner slider

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
ZiPs

Banner slider

Post by ZiPs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm looking for a script like this http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... show/13119

It need not be all that it can, but must be able to link to menu, picture galleries must match the content on the page you are on.

Is there someone who has such a one, or will help with such a script.

/ZiPs
Preben Dahl | Webmaster cmsimple.dk | Projekt-og domæne ejer Gert Ebersbach

Holger
Site Admin

Re: Banner slider

Post by Holger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi Zips,

puh, there are so much slideshow skripts available, but maybe Nivo Slider is a good and easy to handle choice for you:
Check out the demos: http://nivo.dev7studios.com/demos/

KR
Holger

jerry

Post by jerry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm working on a ajax based random image rotator for CMSimple. Take a look of the head of http://sak.dk. Images are changed every 30 seconds so be patient. If it's what you want I try to finish it asap.
jerry/simpleSolutions
jerry/simplesolutions

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Hello ZiPs, hello Holger, hello Jerry,
Holger wrote:there are so much slideshow skripts available
Yes, indeed. Another possibility would be Serial Scroll, which is a jquery plugin too. But I guess that's only a first step of the road that leads to something like image-slideshow.
jerry wrote:Images are changed every 30 seconds
That's very nice :), but I guess, what ZiPs needs is something more special. I've already thought that it might be realized with Newsrotator, but
ZiPs wrote:picture galleries must match the content on the page you are on
And that lead me to the conclusion, that the required features are:
- specifying images with title/link, description and categories in the back-end (perhaps additional upload facility?)
- calling a function from the template that will display the slideshow
- specifying categories for every single page, so only according images (with title/link and description) will be displayed on this page

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

jerry

Post by jerry » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Christoph
It sounds almost like a Gallery slider in the style of the Caorusel and Flip for gallery .
I also need one and will probably make it over the next few months. A Slider based on the gallery file structure and administrator interface and witn possibility to show images in prettyphoto and lightbox.
Unless there are others that offer development.
Jerry/singleSolutions.dk
jerry/simplesolutions

ZiPs

Post by ZiPs » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 am

Hi jerry, Hi Christoph, Hi holger
Christoph wrote:And that lead me to the conclusion, that the required features are:
- specifying images with title/link, description and categories in the back-end (perhaps additional upload facility?)
- calling a function from the template that will display the slideshow
- specifying categories for every single page, so only according images (with title/link and description) will be displayed on this page
Yes it is a kind of gallery, but how do I get it to appear so that it follows certain pages, as Christoph indeed can see I want

/ZiPs

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:58 am

Hi ZiPs,

do you know the Banner Rotator? That might provide the basic idea, but it would need the following modifications/additions:
1. display a link-text, instead of linking the whole banner
2. display a additional text (description)
3. dynamically rotate/slide/cycle the banners
4. choosing the banners by category

The hardest part will probably be (3). I've played around with SerialScroll a while ago as an alternative for flash videos in the flashwin template, but the fine tuning was quite hard.

Christoph

PS: I've played a bit around, and made a draft of such a plugin (currently using the jquery plugin cycle, which seems easier to handle). You can download it; see README.txt for details of installation usage.

simpleSolutions.dk

Post by simpleSolutions.dk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Yes it is a kind of gallery, but how do I get it to appear so that it follows certain pages, as Christoph indeed can see I want
It can easly be activated from single pages with different forlders as parameter. The only thing missing in the Gallery as back end is the possibility to call urls or images.
jerry

ZiPs

Post by ZiPs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks Christoph for your plugin, it's a start, what I want.

I'll try to expand it, or write something completely different based on all these ideas, there is still the most important, namely that the link to the same page name.

example banner for the page names:
Home has "banner / gallery Home"
How to create pages has "banner / gallery of How to create pages"
etc.

/ZiPs

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:41 am

Hi ZiPs,

if I understand you right, you want to have a separate subdirectory with banners for every page. Well, with the current solution that's not possible, but you could use the categories. Put the banners for all pages into the same directory (images/banners/), and give them a unique category for each page. On every page you have to insert #CMSimple $bannerslider_category="...";#. But that could as well be done with Jerry solution, if that will be extended with the links and the descriptions.

A simplification might be the automatic setting of the category for each page to the page name. It is even possible to put the banners for every page to a separate subdirectory, and get them automatically, but that would require some sort of name mangling for the page headers, as they might contain special characters that are not allowed as folder names.

The configuration of the bannerslider in it's current form is extremly user-unfrienly. The configuration of $bannerslider_db should be done in the back-end with a form, and the setting of the category could be done in an additional tab above the editor.

Yesterday I've played some more with the bannerslider, and found that the cycle plugin has the option to scroll the banners (instead of fading them, as it's currently done). But the effect is not as nice as the scroll effect of the serialScroll. But I didn't get that to work – somehow I still don't really grasp how the serialScroll works :(

Christoph