problem uploading big files

General questions about CMSimple
streety

problem uploading big files

Post by streety » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Hello,

i wish to upload a bit file (26mb) for my users to download. i have increased the downloads max size to: "1000000000000000000000000000000000000000" but whenever i tyr to upload the file i get an error in IE, firefox and google chrome

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Tata

Re: problem uploading big files

Post by Tata » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:45 pm

What is the limitation on the server? Ask your provider or split the file into more smaller ZIP or RAR files. Download will be maybe faster and safer. Use e.g. TotalCommander and upload also the *.crc file.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

Connie

Post by Connie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:09 pm

why not upload the file by FTP and link to it?

That would overcome the upload restriction as well

for sure smaller files are better and it is easier to download small files, but, Tata, I fear some users will run into problems to glue partial zips together after downloading ;=(

so I would advice to upload by FTP

cheers, Connie
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

streety

Post by streety » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:13 pm

i'm setting this up so that other users (who do not have acess to ftp - nor do i want them to have access) can upload these big files...thank you for the suggestion though. I have contacted my host to see if there is a restriction. FOr the mean time i found a pdf splitter that gives me lots of little files - time consuming to upload and link to though!

Tata

Post by Tata » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:08 am

Connie wrote:but, Tata, I fear some users will run into problems to glue partial zips together after downloading
Connie is absolutely right. Using FTP is tha easiest way for the webmaster. However, using TotalCommander is very simple too and there is the combine-files funktion included. The only the webmaster has to do is one small "readme" file with a hint as where to download TCMD and how to combinethe files.
Streety wrote:...who do not have acess to ftp - nor do i want them to have access...
This is only the way how you get the files up to the server - not the way how the visitors will get them down. The visitors can basically use only the download trough HTTP. The easiest way how to make them downloadable is

1. upload them to [downloads] folder and then using oEditor or openwysiwyg (modified version with CMSlink function) and make a links to them directly from the page
2. upload them to [downloads] or [downloads/any_subordinated] folder and then using wdir plugin by Qualifire.

Code: Select all

#cmsimple $output.=wd_list('./downloads/any_subordinated');#
This creates a list of downloadable files with necessary download-links.
Last edited by Tata on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMSimple.sk

beate_r

Post by beate_r » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 am

Coming back to the original question: You may run into a php session timeout if the upload takes too long.

Being curious: how do You implement access control for the uploads?

Beate

streety

Post by streety » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:17 am

beate_r wrote:how do You implement access control for the uploads?
Sorry, i don't quite get what you mean!

Tata, thank you very much for your help. Again we run into the same problem. Instead of being all secretive, lt me explain what i want it for.

The website i run is for a search and rescue team based in sussex. After each search they have 'search documents' which detail who was there, what happened, description of places search etc.

The search and rescue rep from the sussex police needs to see this document, as do other people. So rather than e-mail this massive document to everyone, the chair and vice chair of the charity suggested having a password protected area with download access. I have set this up best i can with my server restrictions, but have encountered the afore mentioned problems.

The chair and vice chair are the people who are eventually going to be uploading the files themselves, meaning i don't have to hold their hands everytime they want to upload something. They do some of this from work so they are unable to install any other programs on their work machines, nor do i want them to have access to FTP as my accidentally delete something.

I do appreciate the suggestions mentioned, but none of them are quite viable for one reason or other.

Tata

Post by Tata » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 am

Try this: http://www.cmsimple.sk/downloads/files_upload.zip
It is not my own script. I only slightly adjusted it. And if I am not wrong, free version is no more available. This one is a couple of years old.
The config and index are explanatory enough.
You still may use memberpages pluginto make the access to the uploader safer and use e.g. the wrapper plugin or the GXgeturl plugin to get it on your memberspage.
So my suggestion is about:
1. extract the ZIP to your root.
2. make the CHMOD the [files] to 755 (or maybe 777)
3. create as many subdirs within [files] as you need and CHMOD them too
4. install memberpages plugin and make members account there
5. install wrapper plugin or gxgeturl plugin
6. create a page for [upload]/index.php access
I hope it may work.
BTW: Why is the file that big? Can't it be stored in PDF? Can't it be ZIPped?
CMSimple.sk

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:25 am

beate_r wrote:Coming back to the original question: You may run into a php session timeout if the upload takes too long.
On Apache you can try to increase the script/php limitations with a .htaccess file in your root directory:

Code: Select all

php_value upload_max_filesize 30M
php_value max_execution_time 800
max_filesize: your value in Mb
max_execution_time: your value in seconds

For me it works in some cases though the hosters said that it's impossible ;) .

Holger

streety

Post by streety » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions, tried it with Holga's suggestion and Tata's latest thought, but all failed. In firefox i get the folowing error:
Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.
Hmm

(ooh, it is a PDF - is so big because its 46 pages of scanned images...)