Page formatting

General questions about CMSimple
karldallas

Page formatting

Post by karldallas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:22 am

1.I would like the CMSimple panel to be wider, because the present design wastes quite a bit of browser real estate on right and left. How can I do this?
2. Also, I want to change the background colour to #999900 but when I edit the stylesheet there is no option to save it, so it stays at #fffff. I suppose I could edit the stylesheet outside CMSimple using a text editor, but there ought to be a way to make such changes within the editing system.
3. When I import a picture, there is no option within the Layout window for resizing. I have to go into HTML, change the dimension, back to layout to see if it's OK, then go back to HTML to change the dimensions if the first one didn't work, which is very laborious.
4. I want to provide an email link, but I always cloak this with the following code:
<script language="javascript">
<!--
var part1 = "karldallas";
var part2 = "f2s.com?subject=HoustonMedia pages";
var part3 = "Click Here to Send Email";
document.write('<a href="mai' + 'lto:' + part1 + '@' + part2 + '">');
document.write(part3 + '</a>');
// -->
</script>
When I enter this in HTML, the system changes it to a standard email link, which is very clever, but opens me up to spammers.

cmb

Re: Page formatting

Post by cmb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 am

I'll try to answer your questions, but it would be useful, if you can give details of your CMSimple version and template.

1. You have to use another template, or make the changes in your template.htm (usually in /templates/DEFAULT/). This will affect the desgin also in view mode. AFAIK there's no (simple) solution for having a narrow view mode but a wider edit mode.

2. In a standard CMSimple, CMSimple LE and CMSimple_XH installation there is a button "save" below the editor window when you select "Edit stylesheet" from the backend. I don't know what's wrong in your installation.

3. AFAIK it's not possible to resize an image on upload, but I guess you're talking about inserting an image into a page. CMSimple's standard editor (OEdit) doesn't allow resizing. You have to try another editor (see http://www.cmsimplewiki.com/doku.php/editors/start). CMSimple_XH comes with FckEditor preconfigured; a lightweight editor is Whyzziwig (see http://www.cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3149). Both allow to resize the image even after insertion.

4. I don't know exactly why this doesn't work; probably a problem with the browser's designmode. But you could use CMSimple's mail form. You have to enter you're mail-address into "Edit configuration"->"mailform_email". Then there will be a new "mailform" link on every page. If you want additional spam protection you will have to use a plugin (see http://www.cmsimplewiki.com/doku.php/pl ... lers/start). CMSimple_XH comes with a simple spam protected mailform by default.

I hope that helps.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

karldallas

Post by karldallas » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

I went to Configuration and added my email address in the mailform_email field, but no link appears on pages. What else do I have to do?

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am

In your template.htm should be

Code: Select all

<?php echo mailformlink();?>
at the desired position.
The standard templates display this directly below the "sitemap" and "print version" links.

karldallas

Post by karldallas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Yes, I've found it. It was there all the time. I would like to make it more prominent, perhaps by using a bolder/larger font, or changing the wording to something like CLICK HERE TO EMAIL US YOUR COMMENTS.
How could I do this?

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Hello Karl,

glad you've found the link. You can simply edit the displayed text in the backend. Select "Edit language" and change menu_mailform to your preferred wording.

You may want to have a look at http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1744. This page presents different template providers. AFAIK their templates are free for personal use (but better check that for yourself). Maybe you can find a template that suits your needs better, than the current one you are using.

Christoph