Editing on iPad

General questions about CMSimple
mrleejohn

Re: Editing on iPad

Post by mrleejohn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 pm

I added the url manually. The url is not added right after closing the insert/edit link dialogue. You'd expect that the url is added, but it is not.

I agree that the situation sometimes seems unstable. This was only with the demo version. In my copy of cmsimple xh 1.5.6 it is stable, but does not add the link.

cmb

Post by cmb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 pm

mrleejohn wrote:I added the url manually. The url is not added right after closing the insert/edit link dialogue. You'd expect that the url is added, but it is not.
Does it work, if you insert the link in the HTML source code view? Or will the link be removed after switching back to WYSIWYG mode?
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 am

I did not try this. Nor am I going to try it (or all other 15.000 options), because it does not matter. It should work in the normal edit-mode.

I don't want to be negative about it. But this stuff should be tested by the developers of tinymce first. Then I'm happy to test this further.

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 pm

mrleejohn wrote:because it does not matter. It should work in the normal edit-mode.
Of course it should work in the normal edit mode. But this was meant to check, if the link is inserted in WYSIWYG mode, but then immediately removed by the cleanup script or even the browsers design mode.
mrleejohn wrote:I don't want to be negative about it. But this stuff should be tested by the developers of tinymce first. Then I'm happy to test this further.
I understand your reasoning. But tinyMCE is an open source project under GPL. There is no guarantee, that tinyMCE will work at all, and so the developers do not have to care about any "details", particularly if they are not able to reproduce them. It may be very helpful for a successful bug report (i.e. one, that will be accepted and resolved soon) to give as much detailed information about a problem as possible.

Currently only the following is know: inserting links (advlink plugin activated) on iPad2 (iOS5, 6.0, 6.1 and now in 6.1.2) in Safari does not work on all such devices[1]. Apparently depending on the configuration of tinyMCE 3.5.8 the behavior is instable (for the current official online demo sometimes it works, sometimes not; it can even crash the browser) or it simply doesn't work (the link is entered to the insert link dialog, but it is not added to the HTML source code).

And well, there's seems to be not too much interest in making tinyMCE work on mobile devices: http://www.tinymce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22209. See Spocke's post (#11) and the fact, that nobody has answered the latest post from 2012-11-28.

[1] This is the particular problem: inserting links seems to work fine for some others (e.g. bca), so the bug may not be reproducible by the developers without further information.

mrleejohn

Post by mrleejohn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 am

I gave my share to OSS in the past. Being opensource is no reason to produce less good software. And if an OSS product is not good (quality of software, no innovation) it should go away.

I like TinyMCE, but I do not like the attitude towards modern devices. Also this one flaw does not make me shift to another editor in cmsimplexh. But I will rethink if there will be more servere issues.

cmb

Post by cmb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 pm

mrleejohn wrote:Being opensource is no reason to produce less good software.
No, of course not. But all depends on the community, as this has to compensate for the lower funding typical for OSS projects compared to proprietary software.
mrleejohn wrote:I like TinyMCE, but I do not like the attitude towards modern devices.
I guess, they simply have to concentrate their man-power, and desktop browsers are more important in the short term at least.

bca

Post by bca » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I hadnt tried this with a link and can confirm after trying to enter a link and it will not work in either safari or chrome.
I tried adding a link from the menu button and manually. The manually entered link is removed by tinymce

In fact lots of things don't work in chrome! Anything that opens a pop up menu opens a new tab with nothing in it.

It does work ok with CKEditor

B

cmb

Post by cmb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm

bca wrote:I hadnt tried this with a link and can confirm after trying to enter a link and it will not work in either safari or chrome.
So the bug seems to be reproducible. Thanks for testing.
bca wrote:I tried adding a link from the menu button and manually. The manually entered link is removed by tinymce
Perhaps by tinyMCE, but it is possible, that it's already removed by the browser's design mode. However, the fact that it works with CKEditor contradicts this. Anyway, good to know and probably enough information for a (successful) bug report. :)
bca wrote:In fact lots of things don't work in chrome! Anything that opens a pop up menu opens a new tab with nothing in it.
Chrome for iOS was released only 9 months ago and it has only 1.5 % marketshare on iOS; probably not top priority for the tinyMCE developers.

PS: JFTR: the bug report is filed under http://www.tinymce.com/develop/bugtrack ... hp?id=5766. You may add comments and you can vote for it (ISTM that's only possible in the bug list on http://www.tinymce.com/develop/bugtracker_bugs.php).
Last edited by cmb on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS