Please further define "one installation"

General questions about CMSimple
jackyboy

Please further define "one installation"

Post by jackyboy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 pm

I am a web site designer providing hosting services to several different clients. I'm sure there is a "simple" answer to this question, but I need to understand:

Can I install multiple CMSimple sites for different domains using CMSimple 'free', or am I restricted to using it for only one? Is the license requirement measured by the email address used to obtain it or the server or something else? These sites are not mine. They each have different owners.

Or must I purchase a license in order to provide the CMSimple solution to these customers?

Can you further explain? I don't want to violate any license or law.

Thanks
Jack
Last edited by jackyboy on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beate_r

Re: Please further define "one installation"

Post by beate_r » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:10 pm

First of all, if in doubt, Peter Harteg is the final instance in all licensing questions.

AFAIK, at least the AGPL under which CMSimple is released, does not have the restriction tof "one instance, one domain". In my understanding of the AGPL it is possible to use multiple instances of the AGPL-version of CMSimple in multiple domains, of course, as long as als the conditions demandet by the license are met (but please correct me if i´m wrong.)

This is somewhat in contrast to the commercial license, which will definitely restrict the installation of the copy unter that licence to that domain ore one of its subdomains. So if You want to use several commercially licenced instances of CMSimple in several domains You will definitely have to buy a licence for each of the domains hosting CMSimple in its commercial version.

Beate

harteg

Re: Please further define "one installation"

Post by harteg » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanx, Beate, for answering the question.

Only the commercial licence is bound to a specific domain.