New image file type support - webp

Questions about how to use the online - editors and suggestions how to improve them
kurtm

New image file type support - webp

Post by kurtm » Fri May 01, 2020 1:58 am

Google developed a new image file type a few years ago that is particularly suited to websites. It takes the best from PNG, JPG and GIF and rolled them into one which enables transpatency, compression and animation. However, the CMSimple_HX editors don't recognise this file type and therefore one needs to insert any such image by hard-coding into the page.

I wanted to insert a graphic with drop shadow around an irregular shape, so only a PNG file was possible. PNG is lossless so the file was over 220k in size (400x413 @ 72), while possible it was not efficient for the web and not uploadable to the image folder without changing the settings. I was able to convert this file to WEBP and the new size was 49k with some compression. I uploaded using FTP but it isn't displayed in the image selection list.

All the popular browsers support this image format so maybe it is time to support it with CMSimple_XH.

Thanks, Kurt

kurtm

Re: New image file type support - webp

Post by kurtm » Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 am

I have added the WEBP file type to the configuration (/plugins/filebrowser/config/..) and it works perfectly now, but this ought to be standard in the next release.

Have fun!
Kurt

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm

kurtm wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 am
I have added the WEBP file type to the configuration (/plugins/filebrowser/config/..) and it works perfectly now, but this ought to be standard in the next release.
The problem with WebP is that it's not supported by some relevant browsers (most notably Safari).
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

kurtm

Post by kurtm » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 am

Good point.
Thanks,
Kurt