Is this a fix for IE9 probs FCKEditor??

Questions about how to use the online - editors and suggestions how to improve them
Nicky

Is this a fix for IE9 probs FCKEditor??

Post by Nicky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 pm

It was already announced on the main cmsimple XH site, a switch was made from Fck-editor to tinyMce.
Not such a bad idea, but unfortunately (I'm a webdesigner with some 50 cmsimple installations running for clients), the latest version requires a whole new approach. I have a complete manual written out for use of former versions, which I provide to my clients, plus of course all installations are online and running.

Now I found some kind of 'fix" which should solve major fckeditor problems in IE9 (if i'm correct, mainly the image upload doesn't work anymore in IE9 and maybe some other things also).

Recommended is to put
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8">
In the head of the pages (after <head> and before </head>

Didn't have the chance to test it yet (I always work with Firefox which gives no trouble) but I don't have IE9 installed at home, still using IE8 so I can only test this in a few days when I'm on other location.

But... where to put this code? I guess it should be in the template.htm ?

Hopefully, someone wants to test this right now, it works and we don't have to re-install all installations and re-write step-by-step manuals....

Thanks for reading and maybe even some feedback!
Nicky

cmb

Re: Is this a fix for IE9 probs FCKEditor??

Post by cmb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Nicky,

I can't test it either (I'm working on XP), but AFAIK this "solution" works. It's probably best to put it immediately after the opening <head> tag and before echo head():

Code: Select all

<head>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8">
<?php echo head();?>
</head>
Nicky wrote:But... where to put this code? I guess it should be in the template.htm ?
Yes, that's probably the best way. Another option might be to add it to function head() in cmsimple/cms.php.

BTW: AFAIK the problem with FCKeditor on IE9 were generally the popups (insert image, smilies etc.), not only the upload, that don't work anymore.

But I'm not convinced, that the http-equiv=X-UA-Compatible is a good solution. It might affect some of the new features of IE9 (possibly disabling them, e.g. some CSS3 and HTML5 features). For now it might be a viable workaround, but in the long run a switch to CMSimple_XH 1.5.x seems reasonable. As alternative to tinyMCE you can use CKEditor which has a similar user interface as FCKEditor.
Nicky wrote:I have a complete manual written out for use of former versions, which I provide to my clients
Perhaps you're interested in helping with the Online User Manual? I'm not sure, but I guess it should be possible to generate a printable document of it (as PDF).

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Not that I'm 'resisting to change..' but wow, this gonna be a huge job to convert all clients...
Anyways, Mozilla Firefox (and maybe chrome or safari for windows which I didn't test) are a huge solution for webmasters updating the cmsimple sites.

No problem in FF whatsoever.

Gonna test the fix tomorrow for IE9, and for now, hopefully someone can do it for me?
Probably Vista user with IE9?

Grts

cmb

Post by cmb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Nicky,
Nicky wrote:but wow, this gonna be a huge job to convert all clients...
Of course, you're right. So it would be desirable to just see a notice: "an update is available; do you wan't to install it? [ok] [cancel]". Let's see, what the future will be...
Nicky wrote:and maybe chrome or safari for windows which I didn't test
FCKeditor works fine in Chrome, Safari for Window and Opera.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH