newsletterplus plugin available

Third Party Plugins to CMSimple - how to install, use and create plugins

Moderator: Tata

bastingse

newsletterplus plugin available

Post by bastingse » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Newsletter plugin, again a great plugin but here also i did mis a few futures. So i decided to modified this one.

Newsletterplus:
# Registration can now be done with e-mail address and name also.
# Sending a newsletter is more personal cause you can start your newsletter with the name of the subscriber also by using {naam}.

Newsletterplus can be download here http://www.cmsimpel.nl

svasti

Re: newsletterplus plugin available

Post by svasti » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi bastingse,

nice that you did it. I also thought of doing it and even started on the project. But now you have done it.

However what I find strange is that you write in your help file:
Het is echter niet toegestaan om deze plugin verder te verspreiden of te laten downloaden op een andere website dan http://www.cmsimpel.nl.
(For those few how don't understand dutch: it is not allowed to distribute this plugin or to make it downloadable form any other website except http://www.smsimple.nl)

The code is largely from Jerry, others contributed translations, and now I read "Dutch translation by cmsimpel.nl"? What do you mean by that? You changed a few little things like newsletter to nieuwsbrief (this is just a matter of taste), but 90% of the translation is by a certain svasti. And 90% of the code is from Jerry.

Ah ya, and your "TermsOfUse.txt" state boldly:
You are allowed to install newsletterplus on as many servers you wish and change the source code to feet your needs, but not allowed to redisturibure this software trough your website. By downloading newsletterplus you automatically accept these conditions.
Did you buy the code from Jerry? Did you ask me to use my translation?

svasti

bastingse

Post by bastingse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 pm

svasti wrote:Hi bastingse,

nice that you did it. I also thought of doing it and even started on the project. But now you have done it.

However what I find strange is that you write in your help file:
Het is echter niet toegestaan om deze plugin verder te verspreiden of te laten downloaden op een andere website dan http://www.cmsimpel.nl.
(For those few how don't understand dutch: it is not allowed to distribute this plugin or to make it downloadable form any other website except http://www.smsimple.nl)

The code is largely from Jerry, others contributed translations, and now I read "Dutch translation by cmsimpel.nl"? What do you mean by that? You changed a few little things like newsletter to nieuwsbrief (this is just a matter of taste), but 90% of the translation is by a certain svasti. And 90% of the code is from Jerry.

Ah ya, and your "TermsOfUse.txt" state boldly:
You are allowed to install newsletterplus on as many servers you wish and change the source code to feet your needs, but not allowed to redisturibure this software trough your website. By downloading newsletterplus you automatically accept these conditions.
Did you buy the code from Jerry? Did you ask me to use my translation?

svasti

I did talk to Jerry about it. He sugest that i distribute the modification on cmsimplewiki under a new name like Newsletter_names. The only reason that he don't have names is that he don't want to use them. So i did modified the plugin under a different name as Jerry adviced me.

About the translation, i did some more translation to dutch then only change the word newsletter...... but if i can make you happy with it, i will remove the translation from the plugin and keep it for my own use only. Just let me know....

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi folks,

to be honest, I think it would be better to include that little feature into the "original" Newsletter-Plugin.
If everybody now starts to release "new" plugins with small changes under a new name, there will be so much confusing...
Newsletter is under activ development by jerry. So I think the first step should be contacting the author to give him a chance to have a look at the changed code. Maybe there is no problem to put that few lines of code to the "original" version.

If a plugin like Gbook isn't under active development anymore I have no problem building a fork on the codebase if the author gives his permisson.

The new "Plugincluder" based on my pd_scripting - plugin.
Emile (bastingse) told me some time ago about that new plugin and it's features.
But I don't like the idea behind and IMHO it's not really easier to handle for the most users.
Installation of new plugins is more complex and the syntax to handle parameters is different to every documentation in the help files.
So the user needs an admin doing the installation. But in this case the "Plugincluder" is maybe usefull.
Anyway, since the code is GPLed there is no problem building a new plugin on my work.
And here we have a plugin which follows a complete other intention - so there should be a place for it.

To come back to the Newsletter-Plugin: the authors should merge their ideas to only one plugin.
No need for that second one...
Just my five cent ;) .

Holger

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Holger wrote: To come back to the Newsletter-Plugin: the authors should merge their ideas to only one plugin.
No need for that second one...
Don't forget that we now have the AdvancedNews plugin from JAT under GPL (formerly Payware). Why not use this as a base for further features? I don't know the different Newsletter plugins but the plugins from JAT are not bad at all ...
Holger wrote:Just my five cent
Just my Euro! ;)

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

johnjdoe wrote:Don't forget that we now have the AdvancedNews plugin from JAT under GPL (formerly Payware). Why not use this as a base for further features?
Newsletter sends emails to the user. AdvancedNews can display latest news and make them available in a RSS-feed.
That's something complete different ;) .

Holger

bastingse

Post by bastingse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Folks, as i can see everybody have other thoughts about plugins and what they can and can not do. Some people think that some functions are great, other people think they are not useful.

Indeed Holger, when there are many plugins with almost the same functions (just a few other functions added), then people can't find the right documentation anymore. As we say here in the Netherlands: "you can not see the trees anymore through the forrest" :-)

Anyway, all the modifications i did, i did first ask the author.
The reason i did some modifications is that my clients can work a bit better with it. We (cmsimplers on the forum) know how all things working and how to handle, but some endusers don't even know how to write an e-mail. That is also the reason why i wrote the book for beginners.

When i made the modifications for my clients i thought.... why not let others also profit of the new functions... and that is why i made them available on www.cmsimpel.nl.

I learn my lessons now, if i make another modification i will first send it to the original author and will not change any copyright notes anymore.

Within a few weeks, (maybe next week already) there will be a new plugin available..."formwizard". Not a modification of another plugin but totaly new. Making forms, a small ticket system, upload function and so on...
Lot of work so i'm thinking of make it payware per domainname... only $5 or so.....
Will think about it....

For now..... hope you all understand that my intentions are good.
I just don't know if it is good to put notes on the wiki.... to many 'same' plugins then???

Regards
Emile

jerry

Post by jerry » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi folks

That’s correct that I suggested bastingse to release his changes to the Newsletter under a new name. During the time I've got some mails with ideas to improvements of my plugins and sometimes I include them, sometimes I don't. The problem is usually that when I get suggested code modifications I did already change my source working on other improvements and then I have to roll back my development to include suggested changes or to reject them. It's why I suggested the release of the Newsletter clone with a new name on cmsimplewiki.

The ideas to improvements will never stop and people will make improvements to the existing plugins that some other in the community will find valuable. So the only solution I can see is that people releases variants to existing plugins, preferably on cmsimplewiki so they are easy to find.

And of course I did consider names in newsletter plugins before the first release but I didn't prioritize it high enough to include it. If there is a need of names then I will include it in the future release but it doesn't have high priority and depends of my spare time.

Anyway bastingse includes referances to me and geniz in his version so I have no problems with his release.

jerry
jerry/simplesolutions

johnjdoe

Post by johnjdoe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:44 am

Holger wrote:
johnjdoe wrote:Don't forget that we now have the AdvancedNews plugin from JAT under GPL (formerly Payware). Why not use this as a base for further features?
Newsletter sends emails to the user. AdvancedNews can display latest news and make them available in a RSS-feed.
That's something complete different ;) .
Oops, as I sad, I have no idea about the both plugins ... :oops:

jerry

Post by jerry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Emile

Actually my plugin download page includes a clause that Newsletter may be not distributed from other sites:
Newsletter is free software and may only be used to send messages to subscribers who voluntary have agreed to receive messages from your website by subscribing. All other use is to be regarded as spamming and is prohibited. You are allowed to install Newsletter on as many servers you wish and change the source code to suit your needs, but not allowed to redistribute this software trough your website. By downloading Newsletter you automatically accept these conditions
So actually you are not allowed to distribute the copy trough your site.

I expandet this condition with:
Any improvements to the Newsletter may be distributed trough cmsimplewiki. Only improved files must be uploaded to cmsimplewiki (not the entire distribution package) under the new title including "Newsletter" as the first word like "Newsletter with names". Please include dscription of the improvement and a link to Newsletter download page on the wiki.
It makes it possible to release improvements.

So please move changed files to the wiki and remove Newsletterplus from your site. Newsletter may not be misused to spam people. It's why I have all this restrictions on this particularly plugin.
jerry
jerry/simplesolutions