Sitemapper_XH

Third Party Plugins to CMSimple - how to install, use and create plugins

Moderator: Tata

cmb

Sitemapper_XH

Post by cmb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:30 am

Hello community,

I've just released Sitemapper_XH 1beta1. It's available from my website.

Sitemapper_XH automatically creates a Sitemap of your CMSimple_XH installation. For detailed information about Sitemaps see http://www.sitemaps.org/. For detailed information about Sitemapper_XH please read the manual.

The current version has to be considered Beta software! Use with caution!

Any feedback is welcome.

Christoph
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Ulrich

Re: Sitemapper_XH

Post by Ulrich » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 am

Hi,

whats the use of sitemapper_view.php?

Is it supposed to display the xml file?

If so - nothing happens, just a blank page.

Ulrich

PS

a sitemap is generated, but how can I display it to check if it is correct?

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 am

Hello Ulrich,

sitemapper_view.php displays the content of the tab "Sitemapper" right above the editor. This is automatically handled by the plugin by using the pluginloader API. If you call the file directly, a message should be displayed, saying that it's forbidden to access it.

If you want to view the created sitemap.xml, you should point your browser directly the xml file itself, e.g. http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml resp. http://www.example.com/sitemap-de.xml to see the sitemap of the german language content.

Thanks for testing and your report. I should have added this information to the manual. I'll do that for the next release.

Christoph

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 am

So the tab "sitemap" display only
Changefreq and Priorty- but both fields are blank, even if there is an entry in the xml file.

And nothing more is displayed - only those two fields.

What is the relationship between those two entries and the values written to the file. I can enter e.q. "sometimes", the tab will display "sometimes", but the xml-file has "always as field entry?

Ulrich

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello Ulrich,
sitemapper manual wrote: It is possible to override the default settings of changefreq
and priority , which are defined in the plugin config,
for each page in the pagedata tab "Sitemapper" above the editor.
For details on this settings, see
XML tag definitions.
I've just checked that. It's working fine on my local installation and on my webserver. Perhaps you've looked up the wrong sitemap-LANG.xml, or you have to refresh your browser's view (F5). The setting should be changed in the sitemap-LANG.xml as soon as you press Save in the Sitemapper tab.

Oh, and BTW: sometimes is not a valid setting for changefreq. But that is not checked by Sitemapper_XH.

Christoph

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Oh, and BTW: sometimes is not a valid setting for changefreq. But that is not checked by Sitemapper_XH.
I know that its not a valid setting ;) Just checking if it is possible to enter "stupid" values.

Maybe its better to have a drop down box or to check for the correct possible entry (which is defined) in the Config section.

RTFM :oops: - you are right, the "sometimes" value is only written to one page, all others have the correct value as given in config.

But you see - maybe you should check for correct entry in the "sitemap tab"?

Ulrich

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Hello Ulrich,

RTFM doesn't apply to beta testers ;) You spend you're time helping me to find bugs, so I should spend some time explaining what's wrong. And it gives me the opportunity to check the manual for missing or misleading information.

And you're right about at least checking possible values. I'll probably change the text field to a select box in the pagedata tab, and check the values in the config. And I should check that priority for validity.

Christoph

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Hello community,

I've just released Sitemapper_XH 1beta2. It's available from my website.

Sitemapper_XH automatically creates a Sitemap of your CMSimple_XH installation. For detailed information about Sitemaps see http://www.sitemaps.org/. For detailed information about Sitemapper_XH please read the manual.

The current version has to be considered Beta software! Use with caution!

From the changelog:
added "View Sitemaps" (inspired by Ulrich)
changed input of changefreq to selectbox in pagedata tab (suggested by Ulrich)
added help tooltips to the pagedata tab
added german translation

@Ulrich: I've reconsidered the checking for valid data regarding changefreq and priority. It's not hard to implement (in fact I've did most of it already, but it required some "tricks"), but IMO it's not consistent with CMSimple_XH's core and typical plugins. Consider e.g. Meta tags' robots field or the core's meta_codepage. The user can enter any data to this fields, and it will be accepted. So I decided to avoid the checks for now. IMO CMSimple_XH's core should be the reference. And perhaps this could be changed in a future version -- but that should be discussed elsewhere. At least it is possible now to validate the generated sitemaps, e.g. with http://www.validome.org/xml/validate/

Any feedback is welcome.

Christoph

Tata

Post by Tata » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:08 am

The code seems to be really very nice and useful plugin. Anyway, I would suggest to append its own template to is to use e.g. the full width of the monitor to avoid line wrapping.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

flukey92

Post by flukey92 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 am

works perfectly for me :) thanks very much cristoph

-flukey
RJS Electronics Ltd - LED Push Switches, LCD Programmable Keys, Anti Vandal Push Buttons, Relays, Custom Cable Assemblies
Visit my Web Hosting / Design website here - www.flukedesigns.co.uk