New Logo for CMSimple_XH

Discussions and requests related to new CMSimple features, plugins, templates etc. and how to develop.
Please don't ask for support at this forums!
Tata

Re: New Logo for CMSimple_XH

Post by Tata » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Gert wrote:CMSimple is a word mark, and does not need a logo.
Excuse me, Gert, but here I wouldn't fully agree. It is in contrary a need that good products have their logos. Remember about Ford, Rolex, CocaCola and others. They were and still are word marks and at the same time became the logos. And remember RolsRoyce, Dolce&Gabano, Bentley, JohnPlayerSpecial, WordPress, BayerischeMotorenWerke and hundreds of others. And even many of these (call them whatever you want - word marks or logos) have dozens of variations created by users themselves or by tuners, designers etc.
That's not that I try to force anybody to use something of my ideas. That's only that I try to show some way in which the CMSimple (of any branch) may thought about in the future. Because I think that CMSimple deserves it to have its logo.
And again, my basic point is that everything was born by Peter Harteg and his CMSimple. This is the very first and very basic "big bang" of any further development of this exceptional CMS. This is the reason why the CMSimple should be the most significant part of a logo (regardless if in written or graphic form). All deducted variations, branches, versions, kits and modifications should expressively declare their origin. They have to be proud about it. No new developer should have the right to suppress this.
I am very proud about CMSimple which I have found in its version 2.4 years ago. Thanks to Peter, johndoe, Jens, you, Holger, Chris, Martin, Gerd and hundreds of others, I have learned things I never knew about. And to express this humble appretiation to all around CMSimple?? I see as the best way to have a stamp to assign everything I do on the basis of CMSimple?? with some kind of CMsimple-signature. That's all.
If here comes a time to decide about some graphic symbol for CMSimple (here I don't differentiate the versions, forks, branches etc.), I will fully respect it and proudly use. But, there should be set some rules - as they usually are - as to how and where to use such signs, what way may they be modified and what's not appropriate at all.
They are firms paying huge money to designers just for a couple of curves. But these couple of curves make thing worldwide known. And there are even the experts saying that if such simple symbol represents undoubtedly the subject, then the subject self has its strong potential to be successful in his future.
E.g.:
[ external image ]
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

Gert

Post by Gert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi Tata,

there is no problem, if all CMSimple variants will use the same logo, but always with the full name in it.

That means: The "_XH", the "SE" or the "ME-DE" should not be isolated from the "CMSimple", the "CMSimple" should not stand alone,

Gert
Gert Ebersbach | CMSimple | Templates - Plugins - Services

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Tata wrote:It is in contrary a need that good products have their logos.
+ 1
Tata wrote:This is the reason why the CMSimple should be the most significant part of a logo (regardless if in written or graphic form). All deducted variations, branches, versions, kits and modifications should expressively declare their origin. They have to be proud about it. No new developer should have the right to suppress this.
Well, actually that can't be enforced. Everybody is free to make his own fork of CMSimple, call it whatever he wants (within legal limits) and use the logo he likes or no logo at all. That doesn't mean that I like to do so---on the contrary: I'm happy with the name CMSimple_XH. :)
Tata wrote:And again, my basic point is that everything was born by Peter Harteg and his CMSimple. This is the very first and very basic "big bang" of any further development of this exceptional CMS.
So we might consider to (re)use Peter's (?) logo (the one that can be seen in the header of this forum). In http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 298#p31289 Gert has approved that this logo could be used. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. The logo is already well known, and it seems to me, that it consists of "just for a couple of curves": easy to remember and AFAIK quite unique. It could be used in it's graphic form only (as a little icon) and in combination with the name (be it CMSimple_XH or the name of any other variant) as well.

IMO it's no problem, if the new CMSimple will not use this logo for whatever reason. Perhaps it will use another logo in the future:
http://www.cmsimple.org/?Sponsoring___Hauptsponsor_gesucht wrote:auf Wunsch die Projektseite im Design (Corporate Identity) des Sponsors gestaltet.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

Tata

Post by Tata » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Just to better explain my opinion. There is no "must" nor "must not". Any additional info is placed only on a base of design point of view. The main info (CocaCola) is always dominant.
cmb wrote:...I'm happy with the name CMSimple_XH...
Me too. And it doesen't bother me where the XH is placed. Just like with the "Q7" on my neighbourgh's Audi.
cmb wrote:...So we might consider to (re)use Peter's (?) logo (the one that can be seen in the header of this forum)...
Maybe so. From my practical designer point of view:
- if the logo shall be also iconized - its shape should be as much regular square as possible - this however excludes any text out (would be unredible on icon anyway)
- if used only as a logo - the form used just here in the banner says "CMSimple" - graphically it's very consistent. So if used with additional infos - these sholdn't disturb it and may be place outside of the logo itself.
How about something of this kind?
[ external image ]
Last edited by Tata on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMSimple.sk

Gert

Post by Gert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 pm

cmb wrote:In http://cmsimpleforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 298#p31289 Gert has approved that this logo could be used ...
Mann-oh-mann, ist das schlitzohrig - RESPEKT :lol:

Die Verwendung des alten Logos habe ich toleriert, als dieses Forum noch nicht "CMSimple_XH Forum" hiess. Mein Vorschlag darauf hin, das Forum "'CMSimple Community Forum" zu nennen, wurde recht höhnisch abgeschmettert, an das Logo habe ich da schon gar nicht mehr gedacht.

Nur um Christophs Zitat zu vervollständigen:
Gert wrote:You (Ergänzung: Holger for the Forum) can use it, Till can use it, for whatever you want - as it was until now,

Gert

PS: But the usage should be CMSimple related.
Also für das damalige CMSimple Forum ok, für cmsimplewiki.com ok, naja, und eigentlich auch für das jetzige Forum, da es ja zwar CMSimple_XH Forum heisst, aber auch Fragen zu CMSimple und anderen CMSimple Ablegern erlaubt sind und beantwortet werden. Und ich darf sogar meine Templates und Plugins hier veröffentichen ;)

Aber es bewahrheitet sich immer wieder: Wenn man eine Tür nur anlehnt, wird sie garantiert von irgend jemandem weit aufgerissen. Dass CMSimple_XH mal in Erwägung ziehen würde, dieses Logo für sich verwenden zu wollen, darauf wäre ich im Leben nicht gekommen :lol:

Also diesmal verspreche ich Euch: Ich habe wesentlich wichtigere Dinge zu tun, als Euch wegen der Nutzung des alten Logos Ärger zu machen, obwohl ich das sicher mit gekauft habe. Voraussetzung: Ihr hängt das "_XH" dran (wie gehabt). Ist ja kein Aufwand, ein gif zu erweitern.

Das alleinstehende CMSimple (ohne Zusatz) als Wortmarke beanspruche ich für mich,

Gert

PS @ Tata: Ja, jetzt ist es in Ordnung so ;)

Aber sei mir bitte nicht böse, dass ich das für CMSimple nicht nutzen werde. Ich habe mich, wie schon gesagt, gegen ein Logo entschieden. "CMSimple" ist eine starke Wortmarke, die nach meiner Meinung kein Logo braucht.

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Hallo Gert,

ja, das war alles von langer Hand geplant. Die CMSimple_XHler waren schon immer ganz scharf auf das Logo; daher zunächst mal Deine Einwilligung es für Forum und Wiki weiter verwenden zu können; dann das Ablenkungsmanöver mit dem fingierten Logo-Contest, der sich "ganz zufällig" aus dem Template-Contest ergab. Dann Tatas pathetische Rede über die Ursprünge von CMSimple und Peter Harteg. Und schwupps -- die Falle ist zu. :mrgreen: Und alles nur für drei Striche und einen Bogen ;)

Das ist natürlich alles Quatsch! Mir kam die Idee, das "alte" Logo zu verwenden tatsächlich erst nach Tatas Post. Immerhin können sich damit vielleicht alle CMSimple-Ableger identifizieren, und da ja vieles überlappt (kompatible Plugins und Templates; mehr oder weniger gleiche Funktion und Funktionalität), passt das ja auch zum gleichen Logo. Um nun nicht über ein mögliches Logo zu diskutieren, dass gar nicht "erlaubt" ist, hab ich im alten Thread nachgelesen (ich war mir nicht mehr sicher, was Du genau geantwortet hattest), und dann den Link eben gleich gepostet.

Abgesehen davon, dass es nur mal eine Idee ist (die anderen vielleicht nicht gefällt), muss es von mir aus aber auch nicht sein. Wenn's Dir lieber ist, wenn wir ein anderes Logo nehmen, soll mir das recht sein. Obwohl so ein bisschen Fork übergreifende CI auch nicht verkehrt wäre. Es muss ja nicht wie bei Mambo/Joomla laufen; ich jedenfalls fände einen "Quelloffene Weichware ist wichtig e.V." ziemlich übertrieben (auch wenn der Name was hat ;).

Christoph

PS:
Gert wrote:da es ja zwar CMSimple_XH Forum heisst, aber auch Fragen zu CMSimple und anderen CMSimple Ablegern erlaubt sind und beantwortet werden. Und ich darf sogar meine Templates und Plugins hier veröffentichen
Auch wenn ich schon lange Fan von CMSimple_XH bin, akzeptiere ich andere Varianten doch schon immer. So bin ich z.B. auch im CMSimple-Styles-Forum und im CMSimple-Wiki aktiv, und habe gerade heute wieder CMSimple "classic" supported. Und ich freue mich über jedes neue Plugin und Template, auch wenn's vielleicht aus einem anderen "Lager" kommt; immerhin funktionieren Deine Plugins ja auch unter _XH, genauso wie meine unter CMSimple 4. :)
Last edited by cmb on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added PS

cmb

Post by cmb » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Tata,
Tata wrote:How about something of this kind?
Yes, why not (given that Gert agrees; see my latest post). For the iconized version the "XH" or other shortcuts might be placed instead of the full "CMSimple_XH". Might be unreadable for 16²px and even 32²px, but I'm thinking about 48²px and more, which are more common nowadays, and are used on SourceForge for example. The color contrast is perhaps a bit jarring---but this is only fine tuning.

What do others think about this?

Christoph

Gert

Post by Gert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Hallo Christoph,

hehe, wir können ja schon wieder frozzeln, ohne die Messer zu wetzen ;)
cmb wrote:Wenn's Dir lieber ist, wenn wir ein anderes Logo nehmen, soll mir das recht sein.
Ich war erstmal überrascht und überrumpelt - und weiss immer noch nicht, wie ich darüber denke. Erlaubt habe ich es ja in meinem vorigen Post, aber ob es mir lieb ist ...

Aber mal im Ernst: Auch wenn ich etwas im Keller liegen habe, was ich nicht nutze, darf es sich nicht jeder einfach nehmen.

Das Problem scheint zu sein, dass noch nicht jeder Beteiligte im vollen Umfang verstanden hat, was da Anfang November passiert ist. Holger hat es verstanden, das zeigt mir seine Frage (ob das Logo weiter verwendet werden darf im Header des Forums) in dem von Dir verlinkten Thread. Winni hat es garantiert verstanden, der kommt ja aus einem Juristen-Umfeld.

Fakt ist jedenfalls: Solange ich dieses Logo nicht zur freien Verwendung zum Download anbiete, sollte man mich fragen, wenn man es nutzen möchte. Ja, es ist "Peters altes Logo", aber es gehört jetzt mir. Klingt anmassend und nicht sehr sympathisch, das ist mir klar. Aber erst, wenn alle wirklich verstanden und verinnerlicht haben, dass ich jetzt der Inhaber aller Rechte bin, und das auch akzeptieren und mit dem Status Quo leben können, wird wieder Frieden einkehren in der CMSimple Welt.

Ich bin ganz bestimmt nicht kleinlich. Ihr dürft das Logo verwenden (mit angehängtem "_XH" * ), wenn Ihr wollt. Ich selbst verwende es nicht, weil ich den Neuanfang klar dokumentieren will. Das alte Logo könnte assoziiert werden mit dem guten alten "Volks-CMS", das eigentlich keine Plugins mag und auf die Webstandards pfeift,

Gert

* oder auch eine Miniatur mit nur "XH", auch wenn das im favicon nicht lesbar sein sollte.
Last edited by Gert on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tata

Post by Tata » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

CMSimple.sk

Gert

Post by Gert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 pm

cmb wrote:Und alles nur für drei Striche und einen Bogen
Naja, wenn ich daran denke, welch teure Prozesse es in der letzten Zeit um einen Apfel gegeben hat :lol: