CMSimple_LXH v 0.1 ALFA is released for testing.

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
bjorn

CMSimple_LXH v 0.1 ALFA is released for testing.

Post by bjorn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:14 pm

I have released CMSimple_LXH v. 0.1 ALFA. Just for testing.

This is a minimalistic compilation of CMSimple_XH 1.5.7 with an experimental version of Whizzywing editor. All of this is based on works and ideas of Christoph Becker.

This is an attempt to make a more modern but still small, simple and smart version of the classic CMSimple. All php files in LXH is unchanged from XH v. 1.5.7 so plugins to XH should work with LXH.

Please note: If this alfa version is used together with files from older installations of CMSimple then all files should be converted to utf-8. (Remark: some links can change).

CMSimple_LXH ver.0.1 ALFA is available for download at http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmsimpl ... imple_lxh/

cmb

Re: CMSimple_LXH v 0.1 ALFA is released for testing.

Post by cmb » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:31 pm

That's really nice! :)

Some remarks:
  • As the page_params plugin is removed from CMSimple_LXH, the newspages may better be hidden via #CMSimple hide#
  • CMSimple_LXH is now the default download on http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmsimple-le/; I'm not sure, if that was your intention. SF always presents the latest upload as default download, unless that's explicitely changed in the files dialog; I've stumbled upon it more than once.
  • I've written a prototype of Moved_XH which is running on my website since a few weeks, which could cater for changed links. Try for instance http://3-magi.net/?CMSimple_XH/CodeEditor_XH, which is redirected to http://3-magi.net/?CMSimple_XH/Codeeditor_XH by the plugin. I'll try to release a first public beta over the weekend. And I'm planning to extend Utf8migrator_XH to make available a list of URLs which will change after the transition to UTF-8 encoding (in Moved_XH format). This should somewhat alleviate the migration.
Christoph M. Becker – Plugins for CMSimple_XH

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:17 pm

Moin Christoph

Thanks for always being around with good advices :)

Well, as you said SF chooses the newest file as default automatically. I didn't think about it when I uploaded the file but I think/hope people find what they need.

Your plugins might be useful when people try to migrate to utf-8. I guess very few will try to do that with an alfa version.

I'm really looking forward to see how people receive this. I guess some will hate the new backend. It looks very wrong the first day or two :) But it is in my opinion a small price to pay for access to all the updated XH plugins etc.

BTW did you find a more normal looking editor? Or do you thing Whizzywig (not -wing) could do the job?

Best wishes
Björn

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:31 am

Hi Björn,
bjorn wrote:Your plugins might be useful when people try to migrate to utf-8. I guess very few will try to do that with an alfa version.
I hope so. :) However, switching to UTF-8 seems to be mandatory, but there are no tools to help with the migration. It's something that is bothering me since quite a while. IMO there should have been better support from the beginning (i.e. the switch to UTF-8 with CMSimple_XH 1.2).
bjorn wrote:I guess some will hate the new backend. It looks very wrong the first day or two
I agree that users of CMSimple 2.x or 3.x will need some time to get used to the new editor (actually I'm afraid they'll having a hard time to do so :().
bjorn wrote:But it is in my opinion a small price to pay for access to all the updated XH plugins etc.
ACK. And one has to consider the simplification for the plugin developers, which will hopefully result in more advanced plugins.
bjorn wrote:BTW did you find a more normal looking editor? Or do you thing Whizzywig (not -wing) could do the job?
Indeed, Whizzywing looks very strange. :( Actually I don't like the toolbar--it's somewhat cryptic and it's definitely looking ugly. However, the functionality is great (especially I like that Whizzywing recognizes all the plugin stylesheets) and the implementation is less likely to cause a JavaScript name collision (in comparison to Whizzywig). If I'm not mistaken, Whizzywing could be configured (without rewriting the code) to look somewhat more common. I had tried to configure TinyMCE to resemble oEdit not long ago--resulting in the following plugins/tinymce/inits/init_full.js:

Code: Select all

{
    // oEdit like ;)

// General options

theme : "advanced",
    element_format : "%ELEMENT_FORMAT%",
    language : "%LANGUAGE%",
    plugins : "save,paste",
    // Theme options
    theme_advanced_buttons1 : "save,selectall,cut,copy,paste,undo,redo,code,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,hr,link,unlink",
    theme_advanced_buttons2 : "formatselect,bold,italic,underline,removeformat,bullist,numlist,outdent,indent,image,help",
    theme_advanced_toolbar_location : "top",
    theme_advanced_toolbar_align : "left",
    theme_advanced_statusbar_location : "bottom",
    theme_advanced_blockformats : "h1,h2,h3,h4,p",

//    height : "%EDITOR_HEIGHT%",
    content_css : "%STYLESHEET%",
    //link and image list
    external_image_list_url: "%TINY_FOLDER%cms_image_list.js",
    external_link_list_url: "%TINY_FOLDER%cms_link_list.js",

// Extra
    inline_styles : true,
    apply_source_formatting : false,
    relative_urls : true,
    convert_urls: false,
    entity_encoding : "raw",

file_browser_callback: "%FILEBROWSER_CALLBACK%"
}
I believe something like that can be accomplished with Whizzywing (I'm thinking about optionally using tidy, if available, to clean up some messy HTML generated by the browser).

Christoph

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Whizzywing can be configured, but I don't know how easy it is to do it.

I have been looking around for another small editor. Perhaps nicEdit would be a good choice. It has a very small core and a lot of optional addons. It seems to be useful, but I know too little about JavaScript to see if it is easy to integrate in CMSimple without any conflicts to other JavaScript like Jquery.

The link is http://nicedit.com/
B

cmb

Post by cmb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, I've seen NicEdit some time ago and I considered it useless--obviously I had overlooked the plugins. With some of them it's quite comparable to the functionality of oEdit. Anyway, its development was ceased--http://nicedit.com/docs.php:
Nicedit is no longer under active development, you might want to try CKEditor or TinyMCE instead.
On the other hand I've given up that there'll be a new release of Whizzywing--https://github.com/unverse/Whizzywing:
authored 2 years ago
It seems the lightweight editors are dying. :(

I had a look at NicEdit's code; it very readable (contrary to Whizzywing's) and I don't expect major compatibility problems with other JavaScript, as most global identifiers are prefixed with "bk" resp. "nic". I assume the integration to CMSimple will not be too hard.

So concentrating on NicEdit may be preferable; however, I'm not sure. There are so many potential issues with these lightweight editors with regard to different browsers, and I'd only tested a bit in latest stable Google Chrome and IE 8.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am

After quite a lot of fooling around I think the best solution is tinymce with your oedit-like config. If size matters I could perhaps remove some or all of the tinymce's plugins. This will also make it easier to upgrade from LXH to a full XH.

Regards
Björn

svasti

Post by svasti » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Björn,

I suppose you mean by CMSimple_LXH CMSImple Little XH, do you?
What about CMSImple_XS?

svasti

cmb

Post by cmb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:26 am

bjorn wrote:After quite a lot of fooling around I think the best solution is tinymce with your oedit-like config. If size matters I could perhaps remove some or all of the tinymce's plugins.
The configuration given above probably only requires the "save" and the "paste" plugin, so the others can be removed. This is quite likely to drastically reduce the size of the download (additionally you may consider to remove plugins/tinymce/tiny_mce/tiny_mce_src.js). But still TinyMCE requires much more disk space and is far slower than the lightweight editors.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:26 pm

svasti wrote:I suppose you mean by CMSimple_LXH CMSImple Little XH, do you?
What about CMSImple_XS?
Yes "Light" or "Little". I chose LXH to make the relation to XH very clear. It is a little difficult for new users to find out how the differnt versions relate to one another. But if someone have a better suggestion than LXH I'm easy to convince.

Björn