Cmsimple_XH or Cmsimple?

A place for general not CMSimple related discussions
spyrou

Cmsimple_XH or Cmsimple?

Post by spyrou » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi I come from Greece and after a small research, I have found the history and all the stuff of both Cms.
I was confused because from on side I like very much the UI of this CMS but from the other side I have to
choice one of them to following for my websites.

I have found the templates of XH more attractive but the installation version was 28 months old!
In the other side Cmsimple have an oldest look of templates but their latest version was a month ago!

Right now I am not sure which of Cms I must follow and I have take the courage to post in
your forum cause XH is an open community...

Any suggestion please?

frase

Re: Cmsimple_XH or Cmsimple?

Post by frase » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:21 pm

Welcome to the XH-Forum

Nobody can help you decide which CMS to use. It's up to you.

The fact that the last XH version is a bit older is simply because it is good ;-)

But the community is very active and if you have questions you will always find fast and good help here.

Remember: CMSimple and CMSimple_XH are no longer compatible. The developments diverged in the course of time.

Tata

Post by Tata » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:46 pm

CMSimple and CMSimple_XH are siblings and have the same parents (previous versions of CMSimple). They just grew and got adults and went their own way each. There are still some "genetic" similarities obvious. So don§t ask parents which of their children is more loved.
SImply download and install both of them, test and try to create identic websites in both CMSs.
frase wrote:The fact that the last XH version is a bit older is simply because it is good ;)
+1
I am not sure (I have not checked it at least) but I think the XH has a stronger and more active community and almost everything (99,99%) is fully under GPL3 (absolutely free).
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

spyrou

Post by spyrou » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks for your answers!
Of course and I have installed both of them.
CMSimple and CMSimple_XH are no longer compatible. The developments diverged in the course of time.
This sentence above clarify me a lot of things...

Any Cons and Pros between them it will be more
helpful for me, if I am not spending your time :roll:

Thanks again for your time!

lck

Post by lck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Here you can find an article by Holger about the differences between CMSimple_XH and CMSimple 4.x. The article is 2014 and refers to XH 1.6.2, but you can get a rough overview here. With CMSimple_XH 1.7 a lot of things have been improved and some important new features have been introduced.

Test both CMS and decide then, no one can do that for you.
„Bevor du den Pfeil der Wahrheit abschießt, tauche die Spitze in Honig!“   👉 Ludwig's XH-Templates for MultiPage & OnePage

Tata

Post by Tata » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm

This can also extend your information: https://www.cmsimple-xh.org/?The-XH-Story. And even more you can find in later posts here in forum.
CMSimple.sk

spyrou

Post by spyrou » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks to all :!:

lck

Post by lck » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:00 pm

If you like, you could tell us your decision and possibly what your reasons were for it.
„Bevor du den Pfeil der Wahrheit abschießt, tauche die Spitze in Honig!“   👉 Ludwig's XH-Templates for MultiPage & OnePage

Guru42

Post by Guru42 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:12 pm

RE: >> If you like, you could tell us your decision and possibly what your reasons were for it.

I'm not the OP, but I'd like to share my thoughts on that question.

I just signed up for forum membership, and I look forward to working with CMSimple-XH!

After working with Drupal for more than 10 years starting with version 6 and the version 7, I'm a bit burned out on Drupal. I had begun testing Drupal v8 a few times, but it was a big change from Drupal version 7, and it was like starting from scratch. Some of my sites are very simple, only a handful of pages, and I really started thinking about whether I needed something as complex as Drupal to build some very simple sites. I started looking at flat file CMS that did not require a database.

I discovered CMSimple a few weeks ago, and I really liked it because it was extremely quick and easy to get a site up and running. I was a little concerned about using it because the license is also a bit muddy. The site says, "CMSimple is an open source project under GPL 3, for free use, also for commercial usage." But there are templates on the site with the following terms, "So these templates are usable for free on non-commercial sites, but on commercial sites for a small license fee."

IMHO, seems like CMSimple is controlled by a single developer who is releasing the core code as open source but making money off of templates.

Today I discovered CMSimple-XH and I am very excited to see there is an active community here, and things don't appear to be controlled by a single developer.

I am looking forward to taking the lessons learned from CMSimple and using that knowledge to spin up a few sites based on CMSimple-XH over the weekend.

Tata

Post by Tata » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:55 pm

You have learned the basic difference yorself. That’s it. And, on the other hand, you may also find:
1. CMSimpke_XH is absolutely free incl. Distributed trmplates snd basic plugins.
2. I assume 99% of availsble templates and/or plugins are also absolutely free.
3. You may find even topics, where ta coders suggest modiffications to adjust the templates and/or plugins to special/individually demanded needs.
4. You may also find links to “renewed/rewritten/improved/modernized/extended plugins.
And many more.
CMSimple.sk